My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Satellite installation

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jaco

Hello everyone on MyHumax !
    I am a proud owner of a HDR 1100s and that device is great, well, just going through menus.
    Here is my problem : I have installed a satellite dish, but doesn't seem to work. For making installation quicker, I have decided to just plug one output of my LNB to the input 1 of the Humax.
    I have been despertaly trying to look for a bit of signal but I've picked up nothing... So here is my question, do I need to connect all cables to satellite dish LNB to just find satellite... I have brand new Equipment, low noise LNB, big dish, good quality cable... I've put all chances my side, and I've lost 2 hours!
    Many thanks for your help !
    Best regards

| Tue 31 Jan 2017 21:29:54 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What did you use to align the dish ? If just a simple meter you are possibly not even pointing at 28.2E. One cable is fine.

Goto http://www.dishpointer.com. Select 28.2E and enter your postcode. Zoom in on the Google Earth view and drag the marker to your dish position. The line indicates the exact direction to 28.2 E. Look for point you can see, mine is the end of my neighbours gable end. Look at the elevation on the table and if your dish has a elevation scale set it to that. You should now hopefully get a bleep from your meter. Back off the gain and make tiny adjustments to the direction and elevation to try and get a signal with the gain as low as possible. That should be good enough to give you a basic lock on 28.2E. Once you have it working you need to fine tune the alignment. Post when you actually have a signal I will tell you how to fine tune the dish alignment.

The satellite group you are trying to align on is 22000mls above the equator, the tiniest error will miss them by many miles.

| Tue 31 Jan 2017 22:06:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Elevation of the dish and LNB skew is very important. When I installed my dish on the advice of "experts" I was pointing exactly at the satellite but had the elevation and LNB skew wrong. No signal. Corrected the elevation and skew, perfect signal. Take Graham's advice.

| Tue 31 Jan 2017 22:15:49 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jaco

Hello @Polellensa1946 and @grahamlthompson
    Many thanks for your advices
    I have bought a satellite meter, and that helped me a lot to aim properly.
    FIrst I came across Astra 5B, and then I found 10 degrees or so lower Eutelsat 28B
    and luckily the Freesat got a signal.
    THen I have adjusted the skew of the LNB to get proper signal, and also, I had to adjust the positionning of the head for the two LNBs to get the max signal.
    85cm dish, Double shielding cable, Technomate head, I have put all the chances my side to get a distant (!) satellite.
    Only downside now with the Freesat box is not being able to get the replay functions, since I am not located in the UK

Anyway thanks for your help !

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 19:10:35 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jaco - 3 hours ago  » 
    FIrst I came across Astra 5B, and then I found 10 degrees or so lower Eutelsat 28B
    THen I have adjusted the skew of the LNB to get proper signal, and also, I had to adjust the positionning of the head for the two LNBs to get the max signal.
    85cm dish, Double shielding cable, Technomate head, I have put all the chances my side to get a distant (!) satellite.
    Only downside now with the Freesat box is not being able to get the replay functions, since I am not located in the UK

A bit confused about your distant sattelite observation.

All satellites you can view with a fixed dish, are approximately 22000 mls above the equator and orbit the Earth in the same directon as the Earth rotates, and at that height to stay in orbit the forces that tends to tend to push the satellite into outer space are balanced by the Earths gravity. As a result they appear not to move from a any point on the Earth from which they are visible. The closest satellites from where you are are. are exactly due South and as result will be the highest elevation geostationary satellites you could receive.

All the UK channels come from a group of satellites that are exactly over the Equator at 28.2 or so East of the Greenwich meridian. So give or take a few Km of over 22000 mls are virtually identical distances.

As to your issue with with UK IP catch up services you should check upon smart DNS service providers who can intercept your request your internet access to to a UK catch up provider and replace your local IP address with a UK based one,

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 23:18:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jaco

@grahamlthompson Hello thank you for your explanation, but when I say "distant" of course I know the satellites for TV are all geostationary , but I was more thinking about the shape of the beam. Since apparently, and according to dish installers, the beam has been reduced to Northern Europe (well FreeSat is designed for the UK initially) I had to get a proper dish to have best signal, since I am located slightly outside the beam. For instance, a Sky minidish wouldn't have worked in my case !
    And concerning the IP , I used to have a VPN provider, and obviously it has been blocked, so I have to find a DNS server service to connect to the Humax box...!

| Sat 4 Feb 2017 10:17:58 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jaco - 1 minute ago  » 
    @grahamlthompson Hello thank you for your explanation, but when I say "distant" of course I know the satellites for TV are all geostationary , but I was more thinking about the shape of the beam. Since apparently, and according to dish installers, the beam has been reduced to Northern Europe (well FreeSat is designed for the UK initially) I had to get a proper dish to have best signal, since I am located slightly outside the beam. For instance, a Sky minidish wouldn't have worked in my case !
    And concerning the IP , I used to have a VPN provider, and obviously it has been blocked, so I have to find a DNS server service to connect to the Humax box...!

Most (but not all) channels on the Freesat epg are now on tight UK spot beams, some remain on pan european beams. These are weaker because they transmit a similar power over a wider area.

Transponders marked UK are spot beam and those marked Europe are wide beam.

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Approx required dish sizes here.

https://ukfree.tv/extras/satellite_footprints

All of the UK falls well within the footprint for the spot beams using the smallest zone 1 Sky Minidish.

| Sat 4 Feb 2017 10:25:34 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » 

Jaco - 3 hours ago  » 

All satellites you can view with a fixed dish, are approximately 22000 mls above the equator and orbit the Earth in the same directon as the Earth rotates, and at that height to stay in orbit the forces that tends to tend to push the satellite into outer space are balanced by the Earths gravity. As a result they appear not to move from a any point on the Earth from which they are visible. The closest satellites from where you are are. are exactly due South and as result will be the highest elevation geostationary satellites you could receive.
    All the UK channels come from a group of satellites that are exactly over the Equator at 28.2 or so East of the Greenwich meridian. So give or take a few Km of over 22000 mls are virtually identical distances.
    As to your issue with with UK IP catch up services you should check upon smart DNS service providers who can intercept your request your internet access to to a UK catch up provider and replace your local IP address with a UK based one,

(Keeping it simple)

There is no height where forces that tend to push a satellite into outer space are balanced by the Earths gravity. The speed of a satellite is a direct consequence of its height/altitude, lowering altitude increases speed, increasing altitude decreases speed. Get the altitude correct and a satellites orbit will be geostationary.

There aren't any forces pushing a satellite into outer space, so there can be no balance between those forces and earths gravity. Once a satellite is in its desired orbit there is only one force acting on it and that is gravity.

Satellite are just projectiles, slightly more complex than throwing a rock but the physics are the same.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 13:38:19 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 14 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » 

Jaco - 3 hours ago  » 

(Keeping it simple)
    There is no height where forces that tend to push a satellite into outer space are balanced by the Earths gravity. The speed of a satellite is a direct consequence of its height/altitude, lowering altitude increases speed, increasing altitude decreases speed. Get the altitude correct and a satellites orbit will be geostationary.
    There aren't any forces pushing a satellite into outer space, so there can be no balance between those forces and earths gravity. Once a satellite is in its desired orbit there is only one force acting on it and that is gravity.
    Satellite are just projectiles, slightly more complex than throwing a rock but the physics are the same.

Just a slightly different point of view. Any object in motion will go in a straight line unless acted upon by a force, in this case it's gravity that causes the satellite to in effect to be constrained to a orbit (which in this special case is circular but could also be elliptical). You require to apply a force to accelerate the object to the velocity required to maintain the altitude and also have to adjust this as well during it's life. It's also not true that they aren't acted upon by any other force. Even light exerts a force, and there is enough vestiges of the atmosphere for low earth orbit for friction to slow them down. in fact all comms satellites have thrusters that are required to maintain there orbital position and orientation and in the case of a group of satellites stop them banging into each other. When a satellite gets to the stage where it is running out of propellant the satellite has to use this to move it to a safe orbit before control is lost. It's generally this that determines the service life, with the gradual detioration of the solar cells likely to be another factor.

Because the object in orbit is no longer continuing in a straight line, it's inertia generates a force that tries to move the satellite out towards space. When the downward force from gravity balances the outward inertial force the object is then in a stable orbit.

Even without any other influence there must be two equal forces acting to keep a orbiting object at the same distance from the Earths surface. Vectorially one up and one down and equal to each other.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 14:06:38 #9 |
  10. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Reffub - 1 hour ago  » 

If there was only one force acting on a satellite and that was gravity it would very soon come back to earth.
    It needs a counter force to keep it from falling.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 15:00:25 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.