My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

set up proxy server

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

uncleslash

As we're not in the UK we pick up on demand via a proxy server; there does not seem to be a facility to configure this in Settings.
    I'm wondering if there is a way to set up the proxy server in the Linksys router into which we plugged in the Ethernet connection from the Humax.
    Settings on the Humax goes straight to Automatic without a manual option.

| Wed 18 Feb 2015 8:27:53 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would suggest you forget a proxy server or a VPN.
    A smart DNS however is a much better solution and you can set this up either on the HDR-10x0S with a manual connection or on your router.

To get the HDR-10x0S to offer a manual connection turn off your routers DHCP server and then choose "connect Automatically" then wait for it to time out.

| Wed 18 Feb 2015 15:28:50 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MikeS

Does this only work with an Ethernet cable?
    When I try with a WiFi connection and my router DHCP disabled, then after the timeout period I just get a message saying there is a problem - with no option for manual connection.

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 11:01:16 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I have only tried this with a cable.
    What are you trying to achieve?

If you are using a smartDNS why not override your ISP's DNS on your router.

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 12:20:21 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MikeS

I would rather not route all our Internet traffic through the DNS addresses provided by our UK TV access proxy provider. So I have only my TV setup for the smart DNS. I would simply like to do the same for my new HDR-1100S because it has a much much better "On Demand" user interface than the TV. (Another issue - my router also requires static DNS addresses to be in IP6 format and I am not even sure how to deal with this!)

If an Ethernet connection will work then I will see about finding a long enough cable. However I just have a suspicion that it may not be an Ethernet/WiFi issue, but Humax have simply closed that "manual setup" loophole with their more recent software versions.

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 16:05:48 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The option is still there - I just checked.

You could just take the router to the HDR-1000S and connect it with a short cable (after turning DHCP off). It should not matter at all that it is not connected to the internet. Alternatively, connecting it to a switch should work.

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 16:19:12 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MikeS

So it sounds worth giving it a go.

Thanks for checking that! Appreciated.

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 16:24:06 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

MikeS

I tried this with a local switch as REPASSAC suggested. This was not connected to anything else, but it seems that a switch with power is sufficient to fool the Humax box that it has a live Ethernet connection. And yes the cable connection does then give me the manual setup options.

However these manual settings are not "remembered" for any subsequent WiFi connection. So it looks like I must find a long enough Ethernet cable to connect my router to the unit.

| Sun 10 Jan 2016 11:56:35 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.