My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Should I return the box for a replacement

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

I have the option of returning my current box to Humax for a replacement as it has had since purchase the 'No Programme Information" issue in the guide.

I've almost returned it many times over the past year as it has had numerous bugs but eventually these have been fixed by the software updates.

I'm wondering:

1. Is there any point in a return as there's a fair chance I'd see the same issue on a replacement box.

2. Is it worth it considering there usually seems to be issues with the replacements Humax send out to people with problematic boxes (it almost seems as if they send out ones they've been sent back previously such are the reports on here of issues with replacements?).

3. Do Humax send out a newer hardware version - there was talk on here a while ago that the box now had an LED displaying purple for when it's recording but I'm not sure if that's definitely the case and whether it was new hardware. I also seem to remember there were still issues of clearly being able to see the LEDs. I can see the LED on mine but have no idea whether it's off or recording (I know one is meant to be brighter than the other but i can't tell the difference).

Thanks.

| Wed 5 Jul 2017 12:39:50 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Hi BlackGhost,
    As far as I know there is no newer version of the 4000T as yet.
    A friend got one a few weeks ago and it just the same as mine, I have had mine about 18 months, and the led still is ether red or blue.
    If you watching it the light will turn red if it starts recording and thats it.
    If when you take it out of standby the guide does fill after a time, I find easier to go to the channel press guide and wait for the information to come up, if you want to know whats on that channel. But even so the guide can be hit or miss, Humax says its to do with the broadcaster is to why this is happening, but I find my Humax 2000T and the TV gives a quicker and better guide responce.
    I have now learned to live with it, at least they have improved it a bit now with the software updates, maybe one day in the far future they will get it right.

| Wed 5 Jul 2017 13:12:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

bill63 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi BlackGhost,
    As far as I know there is no newer version of the 4000T as yet.
    A friend got one a few weeks ago and it just the same as mine, I have had mine about 18 months, and the led still is ether red or blue.
    If you watching it the light will turn red if it starts recording and thats it.
    If when you take it out of standby the guide does fill after a time, I find easier to go to the channel press guide and wait for the information to come up, if you want to know whats on that channel. But even so the guide can be hit or miss, Humax says its to do with the broadcaster is to why this is happening, but I find my Humax 2000T and the TV gives a quicker and better guide responce.
    I have now learned to live with it, at least they have improved it a bit now with the software updates, maybe one day in the far future they will get it right.

I just read in another thread that the LEDs are different on the newest version of the box, so I'd like to know if it's an improvement or not? I can't really believe much of what Humax are saying - they say the EPG problem isn't a common fault so is a problem with my box but I'd bet that a replacement would more likely than not have the same issue.

| Wed 5 Jul 2017 14:21:42 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Hi Blackghost.

Well did not know they have bought out a newer version, all I know is that a friend of mine got one a few weeks ago and the LEDS are the same as mine, mind you he did get from Curry's. Maybe they have not got the newer version in stock you cannot tell by looking at it anyway. He seems to be pleased with it not many problems at the moment.

| Wed 5 Jul 2017 21:23:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

KayCS

The newer boxes do have different LEDS and they are red, standby, blue, turned on and purple when recording. Still the same problem of being able to see them in anything other than a very dull room.

From memory when I bought my 4000, seven months ago, you could identify the newer model in shops by the “Now with Netflix” printed on the retail carton’s box but you have to be wary because the older boxes when the 4000 was updated for Netflix had a sticker on the box that said “now with Netflix” and looks very much like the current retail carton as the sticker is in the same place as the printed version.

| Thu 6 Jul 2017 11:30:27 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Haggis54

I have the current newer model, complete with different black remote and dedicated buttons, missing from the older model. Have had it approx 5 months with ZERO issues and has been put through it's paces as it's our main viewing platform after 24 years with a cable company. The unit has a dual red/blue LED. Purple/blue hue when recording. I can't seem to upload a 256kb picture of the remote as it keeps reporting a size issue??

| Wed 2 Aug 2017 15:27:49 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

furkin

Hi B.G,
    I also returned my original machine, and received a used one in its place.
    I was annoyed because I paid for a new machine, and ended up with one that had been returned by someone else - who didn't treat it as good as I do !
    The replacement still plays up, and i'm now on my fourth remote control.
    It arrived yesterday,,,, but none of it works, except the red light !
    We have another post running on these problems.

| Fri 4 Aug 2017 11:22:58 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.