My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Side of picture cropped by new stb on old TV

(2 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

benawhile

I have just bought and connected up a refurbished Humax FVP 4000T to my old Sony Trinitron KV-X TV and it is working perfectly except that the sides of the picture are cropped by a small amount so that the volume bar and last two digits of time display on the right and the first letter or two of some information displays on the left are not visible.

I also have this problem with my latest Virgin Tivo box, but did not have it with the previous Virgin box, which I changed in April.

I can only find two display settings on the Sony TV, 16:9 and 4:3,

On the Humax box the following:

Screen Ratio: options of 4:3 and 16:9

S R 4:3:
    Display Format: Letterbx, Centre or Auto

S R 16:9:
    Display Format: Pillarbox Zoom Auto

Resolution 576i with no other option

I have tried every single possible combination of these settings with various changes to the picture borders and distortion as expected but nothing can bring that last 5% or so of picture missing from the sides.

Can anyone offer advice about this problem?

| Tue 7 Aug 2018 23:20:04 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

There is a setting on Sony Trinitrons which you need to adjust. It is in the "engineer's menu". This is my aide-memoire when I had the problem. I have since binned both the TV set and the manual where I wrote down what I actually did.

Programming the Remote Commander for Operation in Service Mode - Sony KV-28FX68U TV

1. Press the VCR/TV/DVD button until the TV LED lights.
    2. Press and hold the yellow button for approx. 5 seconds until the TV LED flashes quickly.
    3. Press 99999. All three LED’s should light.

The remote commander is now set to Service Mode.

4. To return the remote commander to normal operation mode repeat steps 1. and 2. then press 00000. All three LED’s
    should light.

The remote commander is now set to normal mode.

When in Service mode, use the "1" and "4" keys to navigate between menu items, and "3" and "6" to adjust values up or down.

Setting the TV into Service Mode

1. Program the remote commander for operation in Service Mode as described above.
    2. Turn on the TV main power switch.
    3. Press the video standby button on the remote commander twice. ‘TT’ will appear in the upper right corner of the screen. Other status information will also be displayed.
    4. Press ‘MENU’ on the remote commander to obtain the following menu on the screen.

menu image

5. Move to the corresponding adjustment item using the up or down arrow buttons on the Remote Commander.
    6. Press the right arrow button to enter into the required menu item.
    7. Press the ‘Menu’ button on the Remote Commander to quit the Service Mode when all adjustments have been completed.

Note :
    · After carrying out the service adjustments, to prevent the customer accessing the ‘Service Menu’ switch the TV set OFF and then ON.

Required changes.
    Geometry > HSIZE ... and reduce picture width
    > HPOSITION ... and shift picture left ???
    ==========================================

Another site says:

Use "Mute" and "Enter" to save a new setting to the television's defaults. Use "0" followed by "Enter" to restore a value to its stored default, or "8" then "Enter" to reset to factory settings.

To exit Service mode, press Power to turn the Sony television off. Note that values not saved with the "Mute" and "Enter" command will not be saved to the television's defaults.

Note that these settings should only be altered by a qualified expert. Accidental input of the wrong code could render your TV inoperable.

It is strongly advised to write down the settings of any parameters before changing them in Service mode. They may have been altered from their factory defaults before you used the television.

Read more: How to Access the Sony Television Service Menu | eHow http://www.ehow.com/how_5796597_access-sony-television-service-menu.html#ixzz2W5QsFME5

| Wed 8 Aug 2018 14:53:14 #2 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.