My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Signal Info screen

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alanm1969

Having trouble setting up a dish with the 1000S.

I know that the screen will say 1 cable, only says 2 if recording two channels.

My question is about the signal strength and signal quality bars above this.

I have Tuner 1 showing "No signal" for strength and quality but nothing (not even "no signal" for tuner 2). Suspect the tuner is bad, but there may not be anything displayed unless you are recording a second channel?

Dish is aligned to max sat finder signal, but never seen so much as a blip on the signal bar. (I do have a thread open on the freesat forum for sorting out the installation, so my question really is only about the signal info screen)!

Alan..

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 13:30:58 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The info screen always says 2 cables if 2 were found on setup. The second tuner only shows a signal if it's being used as it would be with tuner 1 recording.

It's very easy to use a satfinder to find a signal without the dish actually pointing at the right location. Quality is the figure you need to get to max. Do you have a another sat box (or can borrow one). I aligned my dish using an old Sky box. Any digital sat box can be used to align a dish.

Excellent DIY advice here

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 14:00:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alanm1969

No access to a different box I'm afraid.

Re pointing to the wrong satellite, yes I am aware that even a small 2-3 degree shift could find another satellite, but I am happy I am pointing in the right direction and I have used the sat finder as per the satcure instructions to max out the signal. From the way you have written your response, are you saying that I could think I am pointing directly at the satellite, whereas I could be slightly askew?

Dishpointer.com is great for finding the bearing for a known satellite - it would be useful for me to know what bearing the next nearest satellite east and west are from my location - if they are 7/8/9 degrees away I can be highly confident I am not pointing at the wrong one.

My mistake - I thought it was the "using X cables" that changed when a second recording was taking place - got that around the wrong way.

Alan..

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 14:49:58 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alanm1969

Graham,

Thanks for the link - just read the page on using an inclinometer.

Download androideka's spirit level on my phone: my dish arm is 14-15 degrees, the sky dish next door has its arm at 8 degrees, so you point is proven - I found what I thought was the sweet spot, turns out I am way too high.

Will try my luck tomorrow - weather permitting!

Alan..

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 15:09:53 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Alanm1969 - 9 mins ago  » 
    Graham,
    Thanks for the link - just read the page on using an inclinometer.
    Download androideka's spirit level on my phone: my dish arm is 14-15 degrees, the sky dish next door has its arm at 8 degrees, so you point is proven - I found what I thought was the sweet spot, turns out I am way too high.
    Will try my luck tomorrow - weather permitting!
    Alan..

An offset dish face like a Sky type will be nearly vertical when using the correct elevation. Unfortunately the Mk4 dishes lack a elevation scale making setting a rough elevation much harder.

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 15:18:49 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.