My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Signal issues?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Hi, I have recently bought a FVP 5000T due to my old FOT T2 just giving a green screen which we couldn't resolve.

apart from the green screen problem we never used to really ever have any signal issues with the Fox T2, i have only had the FVP 5000T about a week and a lot of nights the screen will go to a screen saying signal is too weak etc..

I have looked on the freeview site and it says where i live i would be connecting to the storeton transmitter, im not very far from it, i remember when the guy fitted the aerial he said he could clearly see the actually transmitter just at eye sight from the roof. I am in Liverpool and think that transmitter is just across from the river mersey.

It seems a little odd that i seem to be getting this issue a lot since getting this new unit, i am hoping it was just bad timing and maybe there is work being done but it appears not according to the freeview site.

On doing a signal test i get 70% for signal strength which changes to 69% a lot by the looks, and 100% for quality.

One other thing to mention, the humax is connected to the media plate which was in out new house when we moved in, the guy that fitted the aerial couldn't get a signal when trying on the TV port then later realised that the housing developer for some reason had connected the wiring to the return port, but he said it was a bit odd but should still work fine though. i'm not sure i really understand what that means anyway, there is another aerial port in the bedroom as well but thats not connected to anything.

I'm reluctant to do a re-turn because i only set it up a week ago so dont see why a retune would be needed, it would seem a waste losing all my recordings i have set, unless you think it would really help?

How would i know also if i am deffinitly connected to the storeton transmitter and not one thats further away? say winter hill?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

James

| Tue 15 May 2018 23:53:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

1. Check with the freeview postcode checker to see what transmitter you should be using and what channels it transmits on
    2. Check the aerial is pointing to it and the correct polarisation (vert? horiz?) and correct aerial group.
    3. delete all channels
    4. Do a manual tune of only those channels transmitted by the chosen transmitter
    5. Check the signal strength of each tuned multiplex (pref 70% or more).
    6. Check the signal quality of each tuned multiplex (must be stable and not varying, must be high - pref 100%)
    7. If you can see the transmitter the signal may be too strong - try an attenuator if signal strength is 100%.

Search the forum with signal for lots more suggestions. eg see Poor or no signal on some channels : FVP-4000T 500

| Wed 16 May 2018 9:50:25 #2 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

Can you not just check the multiples frequencies (RF Channel number) that you are tuned to against the transmitter multiplex RF Channel numbers.
    You are right not to want to retune as it might make things worse without a bit of investigation.
    Don't do 3 and 4 above until you have done the checks.

| Wed 16 May 2018 10:33:00 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Trev - 36 minutes ago
    You are right not to want to retune as it might make things worse without a bit of investigation.
    Don't do 3 and 4 above until you have done the checks.

1. A retune cannot make things worse.

2. The purpose of deleting all channels and doing a manual tune is to ensure that you do not collect channels from another transmitter.

I forgot to say that, with a Manual Search, the FVP 4000T opens the Search screen with TRANSMISSION pre-set to DVB-T. This means that it is searching for SD stations and it will not see HD stations.

If you want to do a Manual Search for HD stations you need to set TRANSMISSION to DVB-T2.

This is why an automatic search does two passes.

| Wed 16 May 2018 11:16:50 #4 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

1. A retune cannot make things worse.
    Yes it can actually.
    If you have co channel interference under lift conditions like I get, or you have HDMI interference 'blocking' a Mpx then a retune will omit these zero quality MPpxs and then you will not get them back until you do yet another retune.
    The purpose of deleting all channels and doing a manual tune is to ensure that you do not collect channels from another transmitter.
    Whilst I agree that it is important to delete existing channels (Mpxs) so that you no longer have any that are from an unwanted transmitter, you will not 'collect channels from another transmitter' when doing a manual tune.

OP said

James » On doing a signal test i get 70% for signal strength which changes to 69% a lot by the looks, and 100% for quality.
    Which is adequate , even if it is varying a bit (as his is) as long as you are getting close to 100% quality.

| Wed 16 May 2018 16:24:06 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Hi, i took the plunge and done a manual re-tune.

All the same signal issues are still happening though unfortunately, i do get 100% for quality when doing signal tests but the signal strength always seems to be 69-71%.

I am definitely connected to the storton transmitter which is the closest to me in Liverpool.

Basically either the picture from time to time will just stutter then start again or i will get a screen that says the signal is either too weak or not in use (or something like that).

I wouldn’t mind so much maybe getting someone to look at the aerial again to see if it’s either slightly moved at all or if we need a better aerial, my only worry is the fact i didn't have these issues with my old FOX-T2 box that recently broke and i bought the 5000T to replace it.

I don’t really want to have to pay for a new aerial if he thinks the one i have just isn't picking the signal up well enough.

Is the tuner in the 5000T the same as the one in the Fox T2 or is the tuner not as good or something?

Would an aerial fitter likely charge to see if he can see any issues or if the aerial just needed moving slightly?

I can understand he would charge or he thought i needed a batter aerial.

It was very windy through the earlier part of the year maybe it has moved a little, although looking at the aerial it looks more or less where it always was.

My other thought is getting a signal booster? wopuld that possibly help? but if i didnt need one for my fox t2 why would i need one now?

Any thoughts at all?

Thanks

James

| Sat 19 May 2018 17:13:17 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

james_uk - 1 hour ago  » 
    All the same signal issues are still happening though unfortunately, i do get 100% for quality when doing signal tests but the signal strength always seems to be 69-71%.
    I am definitely connected to the storton transmitter which is the closest to me in Liverpool.

69-71% signal strength should work properly (is that across all the multiplexes?) and I certainly wouldn't be thinking about a signal booster. Are you confident the HDMI cable is well screened and well separated from the HDMI lead?

| Sat 19 May 2018 18:18:07 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Not to sure what you mean sorry about the hdmi least, the ones cable in using if this one that I bought:

hdmi lead

| Sat 19 May 2018 18:25:52 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.