My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Signal problem - LNB? or What?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I have 1 x HDR1000S and 3 x HB1000S. Been away for 5 weeks leaving the HDR on s/by to record and the HB's fully powered off. On return I find the following...

1) The HDR is fully functional other than reporting no signal on ch 111 STV West HD. All other HD channels OK. The signal meter shows on both tuners 80% strength and 100% quality.

2) After power up all 3 HB's show "Receiving data" in the PIP permanently, aside from that they were showing the EPG and channels other than 111 (as per the HDR) were watchable. I factory reset 2 of them and they both fail to detect any signal from the Freesat transponder and therefor cannot be set up again. The whole setup is fed off of an 8-way LNB. I swapped the feed to the HB's that fail around and same result.

So 2 boxes failing? Unlikely since the 3rd HB has the same "Receiving Data" in the PIP permanently. 3 boxes on three different LNB feeds all show same problem.

LNB feeds failing for some reason?

Advice appreciated.

| Fri 27 Mar 2020 20:16:07 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Using the functional HDR. Select manual tune and find the Freesat home transponder. and check signal quality.

Open the guide and enter 999.

Do you have a channel named Freesat ?

Odd that your regional STV West-HD is missing. Check the transponder involved.

The latest parameters I have for this transponder is

10936 V 23000 8/9 DVB-S2 QPSK (it may have changed).

| Fri 27 Mar 2020 20:32:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Thanks. I assume the Freesat home transponder is 11428H 27500 If so, I switched to STB mode, selected that transponder and got zero channels.

In Freesat mode the EPG shows Freesat against ch 999.

| Sat 28 Mar 2020 14:39:53 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 8 mins ago  » 
    Thanks. I assume the Freesat home transponder is 11428H 27500 If so, I switched to STB mode, selected that transponder and got zero channels.
    In Freesat mode the EPG shows Freesat against ch 999.

There aren't any channels just data streams. 999 is one of them. The two epg data streams are OTHERS. If you got good signal strength and quality. Your dish and lnb must be OK.

Every transponder also has the full epg data carried in a round robin. The cached epg is updated continuously using this data (Same as Freeview) when you are tuned to any channel it carries.

Are you still missing STV-HD ?

It's on this transponder

Astra 2G 11068.00 V 64 U.K. DVB-S2 8PSK 23000 3/4

A non freesat scan should find 4 HD channels. STV-HD UTV-HD and two ITV-HD ones.

It's a complete mystery why your single tuner boxes aren't working. Perhaps leaving them in sby overnight for house keeping might fix.

| Sat 28 Mar 2020 14:53:28 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Checked the transponder using my Foxsat-HDR which is a lot easier to use in non freesat mode.

Added and saved a user defined transponder using the above settings.

Then scanned it.

Attachments

1. STV-HD_2.jpg (86.2 KB, 0 downloads) 4 years old
    2. STV-HD_1.jpg (96.5 KB, 0 downloads) 4 years old
    | Sat 28 Mar 2020 15:28:27 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » ...Are you still missing STV-HD ?
    It's on this transponder
    A non freesat scan should find 4 HD channels. STV-HD UTV-HD and two ITV-HD ones...

Checked that info and it's correct, that transponder was not on the list so I added it, did a tune and got zero channels.

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » ...It's a complete mystery why your single tuner boxes aren't working. Perhaps leaving them in sby overnight for house keeping might fix.

The one remaining HB that is working has been left in s/by all week and no change.

I did a more detailed examination of the EPG on the HDR and found lots of channels with no signal in the 600 & 800 range. So for example I tuned to 101 BBC 1 HD and then initiated a recording on one of the 800 channels. The recording did not start and the signal info showed excellent on tuner 1 and no signal on tuner 2.
    This is looking more and more like an LNB failure? Or maybe movement of the dish?

EDIT: I have now checked the 3rd HB which was working, now it's not receiving any channels.

| Sat 28 Mar 2020 16:13:47 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 10 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » ...Are you still missing STV-HD ?
    It's on this transponder
    A non freesat scan should find 4 HD channels. STV-HD UTV-HD and two ITV-HD ones...

Checked that info and it's correct, that transponder was not on the list so I added it, did a tune and got zero channels.

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » ...It's a complete mystery why your single tuner boxes aren't working. Perhaps leaving them in sby overnight for house keeping might fix.

The one remaining HB that is working has been left in s/by all week and no change.
    I did a more detailed examination of the EPG on the HDR and found lots of channels with no signal in the 600 & 800 range. So for example I tuned to 101 BBC 1 HD and then initiated a recording on one of the 800 channels. The recording did not start and the signal info showed excellent on tuner 1 and no signal on tuner 2.
    This is looking more and more like an LNB failure? Or maybe movement of the dish?

I agree, though I think lnb failure is most likely or perhaps you have water in the coax cabling. If it's a sky-type dish they are as cheap as chips on e-bay. Unless the dish is a new MK4 type (spirit level built into the lnb), you will need a legacy adapter.

| Sat 28 Mar 2020 16:28:21 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.