My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Signal problems

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tony52888

Hi,
    I had perfectly good signal/picture with my previous digibox. Set this humax up and now have freezing/pixilating on most channels with some unwatchable.

When the aerial is plugged directly into the TV there is no problem with the TV, but when plugged to humax, then from humax to TV, the TV picture is affected even when the humax is switch off.

Signal strength/quality all fine 90-100%.

Variable, Humax support suggest manual retune - but I don't see the logic given the above.

Support at digital uk suggest the the humax built in aerial amplifier might be the problem making the signal too strong. They advise an aerial attenuator or to switch off antenna power on humax box, if available.

This seems more logical to me, however, the humax support tell me that this model does not have built in signal amplifier - hence advice to manual retune.

Does anyone know if this is correct before a buy an atenuator or have experience/advice on this?

Many thanks,

| Mon 31 Jul 2017 14:27:10 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Tony52888 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Support at digital uk suggest the the humax built in aerial amplifier might be the problem making the signal too strong. They advise an aerial attenuator or to switch off antenna power on humax box, if available.
    This seems more logical to me, however, the humax support tell me that this model does not have built in signal amplifier - hence advice to manual retune.
    Does anyone know if this is correct before a buy an atenuator or have experience/advice on this?

I would agree that the signal strength may be too high. Is there an amplifier in the aerial system eg loft or aerial mounted? It is better to turn off unnecessary amplification than to add an attenuator however if no amplifier then a cheap variable attenuator would be the thing to try. What transmitter do you receive from and how far (roughly) are you from the transmitter?

| Mon 31 Jul 2017 14:40:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tony52888

Many thanks - that's very helpful.

There isn't an amplifier on the aerial. Digital uk suggests my most likely transmitter is Winter Hill approc 40km away.

| Mon 31 Jul 2017 16:41:43 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Tony52888 - 1 hour ago  » 
    There isn't an amplifier on the aerial. Digital uk suggests my most likely transmitter is Winter Hill approc 40km away.

I am surprised that you have such a strong signal from a transmitter 40km away; could you post the first four characters of your post code please?

| Mon 31 Jul 2017 18:22:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tony52888

Yes, there is one 5km away in glossop but it says it's 'parent transmitter' is winter hill and that's most likely one.

| Mon 31 Jul 2017 18:26:28 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Tony52888 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Yes, there is one 5km away in glossop but it says it's 'parent transmitter' is winter hill and that's most likely one.

You can probably work out which transmitter is being used by the bearing and polarisation of the aerial (shown as H or V in the Aerial Group column; H signifying the aerial elements should be horizontal and V vertical) .

| Mon 31 Jul 2017 22:25:24 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tony52888

Many thanks
    All sorted! For those experincing the same problem, I also found a quick and dirty fix idea on amazon to only loosly conect the aerial to reduce the signal strength. It solved the problem straight away, presumably confirming that signal strength was the problem.

Variable attenuator is now on its way.

Many thanks Martin for your help.

| Tue 1 Aug 2017 10:17:30 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Tony52888 - 4 hours ago  » 
    It solved the problem straight away, presumably confirming that signal strength was the problem.

Good. Did you work out which transmitter you were receiving from (as too much signal from a transmitter 40km away sounds wrong)?

| Tue 1 Aug 2017 14:19:23 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.