My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Single cable on HDR 1000S - FW update

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilsonlaidlaw

I am about to buy a Humax HDR 1000S to replace my Foxsat at my French house for when I go back down at the end of April, as my JVC HD recorder died at the end of last summer. I waited until a neighbour confirmed that he is still getting all the Astra 2E channels on a 120cm dish last week. As I have a 135cm dish, I should have no problems as well, although some judicious tree trimming may be needed. I was getting Ch4HD and 5 last autumn with no problems.

I will in due course, replace my single channel Invacom LNB with a twin Invacom and run new cables but this is a major exercise, as the dish is 100 meters away from the house. I am going to run a pair of new WF125 low loss cables. My original WF125 cable has been dug up a number times by the wild boars who live in the next door wood and had to be repaired so I think a new cable is in order. I will get the new cables’ conduit pipe laid deeper this time. In the meantime, I will run with a single cable.

I am aware of the limitations on recording while watching and have downloaded the band illustration. However I understand with the older HDR’s that you could not install an OTA FW update with only a single cable LNB connection. Does this still apply to the 1000S? If so I will need to get the new twin LNB and cabling organised sooner rather than later. Wilson

| Thu 20 Mar 2014 12:30:27 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

That limitation on a Foxsat-hdr was fixed a long time ago. Afaik there is no issue with the g2 boxes. Pretty certain someone would have posted they didn't get the latest update by now.

Incidentally you could download a update by either

Carefully transferring the single cable to lnb 2 in

or

Fitting a lnb manual switch to achieve the above.

| Thu 20 Mar 2014 12:47:54 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 14 seconds ago  » 
    That limitation on a Foxsat-hdr was fixed a long time ago. Afaik there is no issue with the g2 boxes. Pretty certain someone would have posted they didn't get the latest update by now.
    Incidentally you could download a update by either
    Carefully transferring the single cable to lnb 2 in
    or
    Fitting a lnb manual switch to achieve the above.

Afterthought

You can get full working on a single cable by using a scr lnb. Repassac hopefully will advise as he has this arrangement in Southern France.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/280863315681?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_cable_distribution

| Thu 20 Mar 2014 12:51:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilsonlaidlaw

Graham,

As ever, many thanks for your helpful information. I assume that the issue with optical audio LPCM 2 channel output on HD channels, where you sent me special FW to cure it on my old Foxsat, is a problem of the long past. Wilson

| Thu 20 Mar 2014 12:54:19 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I have a HDR 1000S connected with one cable and confirm FW updates are not a problem.

| Thu 20 Mar 2014 13:02:10 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wilsonlaidlaw - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Graham,
    As ever, many thanks for your helpful information. I assume that the issue with optical audio LPCM 2 channel output on HD channels, where you sent me special FW to cure it on my old Foxsat, is a problem of the long past. Wilson

If you mean is there an option to downmix ac3 to lpcm stereo on the G2 boxes, the answer is yes.

| Thu 20 Mar 2014 13:10:23 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilsonlaidlaw

Graham,

Some other threads on this forum, imply that the HDR1000S does not have a selectable unicable option, unlike some of the older Humax boxes. The Inverto Unicable LNB is a brilliant idea for me but it all falls apart, if I cannot switch the 1000S to unicable input.

Wilson

| Thu 20 Mar 2014 13:15:43 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wilsonlaidlaw - 1 minute ago  » 
    Graham,
    Some other threads on this forum, imply that the HDR1000S does not have a selectable unicable option, unlike some of the older Humax boxes. The Inverto Unicable LNB is a brilliant idea for me but it all falls apart, if I cannot switch the 1000S to unicable input.
    Wilson

Pretty sure Repassac has used a unicable lnb with a HDR1000s and HB1000s combination. He will hopefully confirm next time he visits the site.

| Thu 20 Mar 2014 13:18:27 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

wilsonlaidlaw - 1 minute ago  » 
    Graham,
    Wilson

Pretty sure Repassac has used a unicable lnb with a HDR1000s and HB1000s combination. He will hopefully confirm next time he visits the site.

I used Unicable with the Foxsat but for the new house have installed a quarto LNB and multi switch as Unicable functionality was one of the features that was intended to be added in the future (like the DLNA server).
    Last time I looked it was not in the antenna menu and it for sure has not been on any update list.

| Thu 20 Mar 2014 14:53:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilsonlaidlaw

Thank you for the info Repassac. I suppose due to the multiplexing codec, just using Inverto’s splitter box and connecting two cables to the HDR 1000S would not work either. Back to plan A and get someone to dig a channel to lay a new conduit pipe. Not a lot of fun as the ground between the dish and the house is mostly rocks. I laid the previous conduit only about 6” deep in a softer route but as that softer ground is where the creepy crawlies live, that is where the wild boars root around for their food. I wish someone would turn them into sausages!
    Wilson

| Thu 20 Mar 2014 15:21:01 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.