My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Single feed series recording

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

iantresman

1. A single feed would suggest that you can only record what you're watching. Except that many programmes become readily available on catchup.

So can I choose to series record, for example, Strictly, but watch something else, and have the system record the programme from catchup?

Am I right that all catchup is in standard definition?

2. Is there an easy way to switch to the HD version of a channel?

| Thu 5 Dec 2013 13:12:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

iantresman

I note that you can Record one channel and watch another, if they are on the same transponder.

Is this information anywhere on the TV Guide or menus?

| Thu 5 Dec 2013 13:31:45 #2 |
  3. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

When recording you can watch anything on demand or a previous recorded program. You may be able to watch a limited selection of channels depending on which channel is currently recording. Easy enough to test, just press record and then pres channel up or down and see if it changes channel.

Catchup has both SD and HD depending on what your watching.
    If you open BBCiPlayer you can change the setting so it will play HD only when available.
    ITVPlayer is currently in crappy vision.
    I'm not really sure about 4OD, but I think it plays in the best quality that can be delivered over your connection.
    I think Demand 5 may be SD.

Currently only BBC 1, BBC2 and ITV have an easy option of switching to HD alternative by pressing ok there will be a watch HD option providing you see the SD>HD icon in the guide for that particular program.
    Channel 4 you need to go directly to 4HD.

| Thu 5 Dec 2013 13:39:53 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A single feed does not mean that you can only record what you are watching.

Both tuners are connected to the single cable.

You have two channel recording and 3rd channel viewing with some restrictions on the 2nd recording channel. You can sometimes get round these by recording a different regional variation.

For Example you can record both BBC1-HD and BBC2-HD and watch any other channel (and timeshift the 3rd channel, even record it from the beginning after one of the two recordings finishes)

See

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

The G2 boxes are slightly more versatile than the older Foxsat.

If you are recording 2 you can record the 3rd viewed channel from the timeshift buffer after one of the two recordings has finished.

Iplayer has a HD (720p25 1280 x 720) option for many programmes, this gives excellent pictures, actually better than live SD.

You cannot record catch up services at all using the HDR1000/1010s though you can record iplayer using a PC and freely available software (free).

| Thu 5 Dec 2013 13:42:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

iantresman

@-gonzo- Thanks for that. If I do a series record, and am watching the wrong channel, will it switch to the appropriate channel to record it, or can it acquire the programme from catchup and record it from there?

| Thu 5 Dec 2013 13:43:16 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

iantresman - 38 seconds ago  » 
    Thanks for that. If I do a series record, and am watching the wrong channel, will it switch to the appropriate channel to record it, or can it acquire the programme from catchup and record it from there?

It will warn you if you are watching and allow you to elect to cancel the recording. If not responded to the box will change to a viewable channel. While recording the programme up down keys will cycle through available channels.

| Thu 5 Dec 2013 13:45:35 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

iantresman

@grahamlthompson Thanks for that. Is the HB-1000S a G2 box? Guess I'm going to have to play around with the recording option... and now buy a hard drive.

| Thu 5 Dec 2013 13:46:10 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

iantresman - 1 minute ago  » 
    @grahamlthompson Thanks for that. Is the HB-1000S a G2 box? Guess I'm going to have to play around with the recording option... and now buy a hard drive.

See my other post re dual recording capability. Yes <freetime> is the second generation Freesat service (G2). Currently only Humax make <freetime> boxes. The range now has a single tuner box that records to an external HDD and the twin tuner HDR1000/1010s range.

| Thu 5 Dec 2013 13:51:54 #8 |
  9. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

grahamlthompson - 9 minutes ago  » 
    You have two channel recording and 3rd channel viewing with some restrictions on the 2nd recording channel. You can sometimes get round these by recording a different regional variation.
    For Example you can record both BBC1-HD and BBC2-HD and watch any other channel (and timeshift the 3rd channel, even record it from the beginning after one of the two recordings finishes)
    See
    If you are recording 2 you can record the 3rd viewed channel from the timeshift buffer after one of the two recordings has finished.
    Iplayer has a HD (720p25 1280 x 720) option for many programmes, this gives excellent pictures, actually better than live SD.
    You cannot record catch up services at all using the HDR1000/1010s though you can record iplayer using a PC and freely available software (free).

Graham, the OP has the HB, not the HDR

| Thu 5 Dec 2013 13:54:07 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

-gonzo- - 3 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 9 minutes ago  » 
    See

Graham, the OP has the HB, not the HDR

OOps should read more carefully.

2nd viewing restricted to channels on same transponder. I guess you could record BBC1-HD, watch BBC2-HD and record that from the buffer after recording as you can on the twin tuner models.

| Thu 5 Dec 2013 14:00:13 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.