My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Sky Q preview - heck!

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have just been looking at and reading a review of the soon to be released Sky Q. This is going to be a real wake up call for the likes of BT TV/Youview, Apple TV, Amazon, Freesat Freeview Play etc. etc.

I realise of course that Sky Q will not be cheap (prices yet to be announced) and it is after all subscription TV. However, I can see this having real appeal to the public at large with it's 12 tuners, being able to watch and record on multiple devices at the same time and the integration of On-demand, Netflix etc. etc.

Now, can it brew up?

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 12:08:51 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

So playing catch up with Freeview which has always been able to watch and record on multiple devices at the same time from a single feed?

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 12:24:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Where is the 4K that was supposed to be SkyQ's raison d'être?

Perhaps Sky came away from CES 2016 realizing they've been hunting the wrong dog.
    https://www.avforums.com/article/ultra-hd-alliance-hdr-and-4k-blu-ray-at-ces-2016.12295

Perhaps they're not alone...

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 13:41:53 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Sky mouthpiece Recombu says:

Perhaps the most radical change Sky is bringing to customers homes with Sky Q is My Q.

As we revealed last November, My Q is an umbrella feature that aggregates content from a variety of sources. Olsen called it a “personal centre” of Sky Q, which will be populated with quick links to recent recordings, purchases and recently watches or streamed shows.

MyView, anyone?

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 14:46:50 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I can still see Mr & Mrs J. Public going for this in a big way. I'll hold my hand up if I'm wrong but I do think it will prove popular.

There's THIS

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 15:00:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Faust - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I can still see Mrs & Mrs J. Public going for this in a big way. I'll hold my hand up if I'm wrong but I do think it will prove popular...

I agree with the caveat that cost will be important. If I were unconcerned about the cost I would sign up as soon as available. The Server/Client capability is going to be hugely popular (record a pgm then watch it on any device) and leaves Freesat sitting on the benches. Their failure to deliver this will prove a big mistake for them.

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 15:09:32 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 12 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I can still see Mrs & Mrs J. Public going for this in a big way. I'll hold my hand up if I'm wrong but I do think it will prove popular...

I agree with the caveat that cost will be important. If I were unconcerned about the cost I would sign up as soon as available. The Server/Client capability is going to be hugely popular (record a pgm then watch it on any device) and leaves Freesat sitting on the benches. Their failure to deliver this will prove a big mistake for them.

If Freesat had just a fraction of Sky's resources then things 'could' and that is only a 'could' be so very different.

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 15:22:46 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sky Q requires a new lnb and just two cables. The lnb is not compatible with satellite boxes designed to be used with ku band universal lnbs. The two cables unlike existing systems it appears cannot be used to provide any other services.

Anyone with existing, Sky, Freesat and generic FTA kit will require a second dish and extra cabling. Those on a communal install look as if they use existing cabling they will not be able to access multiplexed Terrestrial Digital TV and radio services. Those with only a single cable and can't get a second will not be able to get SkyQ at all. Seems to me basically you will be totally locked into Sky pay through the nose services without any easy way of going back.

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 15:49:59 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Sky Q requires a new lnb and just two cables. The lnb is not compatible with satellite boxes designed to be used with ku band universal lnbs. The two cables unlike existing systems it appears cannot be used to provide any other services.
    Anyone with existing, Sky, Freesat and generic FTA kit will require a second dish and extra cabling. Those on a communal install look as if they use existing cabling they will not be able to access multiplexed Terrestrial Digital TV and radio services. Those with only a single cable and can't get a second will not be able to get SkyQ at all. Seems to me basically you will be totally locked into Sky pay through the nose services without any easy way of going back.

That might be a tricky row to hoe, unless they're going to keep both services running in tandem. Wouldn't it amount to putting BBC behind a paywall, which is not supposed to happen?

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 16:04:18 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 15 minutes ago  » ...Seems to me basically you will be totally locked into Sky pay through the nose services without any easy way of going back.

Agreed, but there are lots of couples, both working, two substantial incomes, to whom the technical aspects will mean nothing. They will be simply focused on the bang for the buck. I know some of them who already pay £50 p/m upwards for their SKY and will be signing up for this as soon as it becomes visible. Won't be me as I refuse to pay a sub for TV.

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 16:12:41 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.