My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Sky Q preview - heck!

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 minute ago  » 

JamesB - 5 minutes ago  » 
    They'll understand that Sky Q means a new installation.

...and so they will understand that that locks them in to SKY Q will they? Because they read forums like this?

Huh? They'll understand that Sky Q means a new installation, because they'll have to pay for it. What's reading a forum got to do with it?

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 18:23:47 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » ...Huh? They'll understand that Sky Q means a new installation, because they'll have to pay for it...

To repeat, and that will lead them to immediately conclude that they are locked into SKY? You clearly overestimate the technical know-how of the average SKY viewer. I still get SKY subs saying to me... "you get sat TV for nothing, how do you fiddle that? Wink!".

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 21:03:34 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Customers shouldn't need to be tech-literate though, if that's not where their interests lie.

I don't know if Sky Q will succeed or not. It doesn't appeal to me at all, so I likely don't have a very objective view of its prospects.

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 21:38:01 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » ...I don't know if Sky Q will succeed or not...

Who does? Although SKY surely think so or they wouldn't have invested in SKY Q. I don't watch very much live TV, maybe one hour, or two hours max, some days, other days nothing. I do scan the TV schedules from the weekend papers then set recordings. I then want to watch those when it suits and where it suits on my 4 TVs. Presently I cannot fully do that in that the HDR/HB set has no Server/Client model, so I'm confined to the room where the HDR sits. A major omission in my view. I know people who watch a lot more TV than me and have exactly the same wants and SKY Q will appeal to them, and they have the money to satisfy their wants in this respect.

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 23:20:11 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » ...Huh? They'll understand that Sky Q means a new installation, because they'll have to pay for it...

To repeat, and that will lead them to immediately conclude that they are locked into SKY? You clearly overestimate the technical know-how of the average SKY viewer. I still get SKY subs saying to me... "you get sat TV for nothing, how do you fiddle that? Wink!".

I'm with you on this Pollensa - I find people rarely ask the right questions and do the minimum of research, if any at all. I could be unkind and say that a lot of people are quite dim when it comes to tech matters. However, I think it's more fundamental than that - put simply they see the headline ad, the shiny new tech and that's all they want to know. No one wants to hear bad news.

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 23:26:44 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Just confirmed this info. For Sky Q domestic users with legacy kit a new hybrid lnb with 6 outputs can be fitted. This lnb is smart enough to recognise what it's connected to. Either.

1 A Sky Q Vertical polarisation wideband input
    2 A Sky Q Horizontal polarisation wideband input
    3 A legacy band and polarisation switching tuner.

A poster with the hybrid lnb was kind enough to connect a Sky Q input cable to a TV with a satellite tuner and confirmed the 4 possible band/polarisation options all worked.

Pretty impressive actually

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 11:11:46 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 33 minutes ago  » ...Pretty impressive actually...

Yes, it certainly sounds like it. Positions SKY Q as not only the next best thing in TV watching, but also a transition product towards that next best. Ref my earlier posts, I was talking to a young man at the w/e who has the money and is planning to dump BT TV and go back to SKY. The bonus being that with offers SKY is initially cheaper. Longer term he plans SKY Q.

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 11:50:29 #27 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 33 minutes ago  » ...Pretty impressive actually...

Yes, it certainly sounds like it. Positions SKY Q as not only the next best thing in TV watching, but also a transition product towards that next best. Ref my earlier posts, I was talking to a young man at the w/e who has the money and is planning to dump BT TV and go back to SKY. The bonus being that with offers SKY is initially cheaper. Longer term he plans SKY Q.

It doesn't hold any interest to me personally. I can already view content remotely recorded on my two HDR FOX T2 boxes and my Foxsat-HDR. As for Freeview I have a I streaming box connected to my router. So in fact none of it is really new.

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 11:55:48 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 11 minutes ago  » ...It doesn't hold any interest to me personally...

Me too, I don't watch enough TV to spend lots of money on it. In contrast, the same young man I conversed with regards Freesat as positively medieval because of the lack of a server/client model. This is the generation that thinks that an iPhone is mandated in the ECHR.

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 12:10:53 #29 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 11 minutes ago  » ...It doesn't hold any interest to me personally...

Me too, I don't watch enough TV to spend lots of money on it. In contrast, the same young man I conversed with regards Freesat as positively medieval because of the lack of a server/client model. This is the generation that thinks that an iPhone is mandated in the ECHR.

Actually I agree with the young man. Freetime units do have dnla client capability. The failure to materialise of the formerly promised DTCP-IP dlna server is a matter of regret to me. Fortunately my two HDR FOX T2's have both server and client capability. Despite my advanced years I have a advanced Android smart phone and the superb Galaxy TAB S2 8" tablet. Quite the best tablet I have ever used.

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 14:19:39 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.