My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Sky Q pricing

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Presumably you knew that when you bought it. All the Freeview+ boxes from the 9200 on and the Foxsat-hdr can export SD.

Being picky, the 9150 and 9300 could not export SD.

| Fri 29 Jan 2016 19:46:47 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » ...Presumably you knew that when you bought it. All the Freeview+ boxes from the 9200 on and the Foxsat-hdr can export SD.

I also knew that Humax stated at launch (which is when I bought the HDR) they would, in time, provide that Server/Client model. They have failed to do so. My only presumption was that I believed them.

| Fri 29 Jan 2016 20:36:52 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » ...Presumably you knew that when you bought it. All the Freeview+ boxes from the 9200 on and the Foxsat-hdr can export SD.

I also knew that Humax stated at launch (which is when I bought the HDR) they would, in time, provide that Server/Client model. They have failed to do so. My only presumption was that I believed them.

That is not the same as exporting SD for use on other devices. I do though agree lack of a server is very disappointing.

| Fri 29 Jan 2016 21:42:23 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The question that arose was directly stimulated by the distributed model that SKY described, fluid viewing as they call it. In the context, by "downloading" they meant streaming. As you state, this is not the same as exporting for use on other devices. I could do that now I guess by exporting a file from my HDR for use on a PC or tablet. You're the recognised expert on that, but frankly I can't be bothered, I want to stream it from the HDR to one of my HB. Big omission by Humax in my view. As I stated in another post here, institutionalised laziness on their part. They seem content to churn out boxes using s/w handed to them by broadcast companies who have no clue what the public want in a PVR. I wonder how long that will work for them.

| Fri 29 Jan 2016 22:17:33 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 18 hours ago  » 

JamesB - 5 minutes ago  » 

Could be. The CAI said recently (19 Jan):

As yet the CAI has not received any official statement from the Sky Chief Executive or anyone assigned to the marketing of Sky TV regarding how Sky Q is to be sold or installed - or more importantly how anyone on a shared dish system would be able to raise their level of subscription to take Sky Q.

http://cai.org.uk/information/cai-news/892-sky-q-what-we-know-so-far

There is information on communal installs, Sky are already fitting the extra kit for free. No lnb change is required where a quattro lnb multiswitch installation is present. Extra kit provides the wideband two conductor connection required. What isn't clear is compatibility with existing kit, a new dscr system is supposed to maintain existing kit but at a guess it will need scr capability which would leave out most freesat kit. The download IF is in the UHF band so would seem to leave Freeview out in the cold..

Presumably Sky is hoping (or perhaps may have reason to believe) that existing Freesat kit will indeed be incompatible, to stop Sky-leavers from unsubbing and using Freesat receivers with their Sky-subsidised installations. I wonder how much pressure that might put on Freesat to adapt.

Sky Q’s multichannel reception features are powered by MaxLinear’s MxL5x2 Full-Spectrum Capture satellite receiver ICs, which digitize the complete broadcast satellite band (4.1GHz) and perform the digital tuning and demodulation of up to 12 satellite channels in a very low power, ultra small form-factor. The MxL5x2 ICs also provide exceptional rejection of Wi-Fi, LTE and terrestrial interference signals, ensuring that the set-top boxes have excellent HD and UHD reception performance, even in adverse environments.

http://www.maxlinear.com/maxlinears-mxl5x2-satellite-receiver-and-en5520-channel-stacking-ics-adopted-by-sky-for-next-generation-sky-q-set-top-boxes/

Sounds desirable, if true.

| Sat 30 Jan 2016 10:46:29 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I don't see Freesat adapting hardware or dish at all. It would just be too complicated. I think Sky will run dual systems themselves for the foreseeable future so if people on ordinary Sky systems ditch Sky then found that Freesat was unavailable on their hardware it wouldn't do anything for Freesat sales.

I can't see that Freesat have the will or the funds to run two separate systems just on the off chance ex-Sky customers might move to Freesat.

| Sat 30 Jan 2016 11:39:23 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Faust - 34 minutes ago  » ...I can't see that Freesat have the will or the funds to run two separate systems just on the off chance ex-Sky customers might move to Freesat.

I agree. However, one of the attractions of Freesat has been that they could match SKY's offering at a one-off investment in a new box or boxes. On that basis they have attracted a lot of ex-SKY subscribers. Over time that will no longer be the case. Interesting to see how they respond, if at all.

| Sat 30 Jan 2016 12:17:40 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Sky will do whatever looks like keeping the share price up while they try again for the merger. If SkyQ is a success, they'll have no obvious reason to go on offering Sky+ to new customers. There's no doubt a contractual obligation to existing customers for a certain period of time.

...one of the attractions of Freesat has been that they could match SKY's offering at a one-off investment in a new box or boxes. On that basis they have attracted a lot of ex-SKY subscibers. Over time that will no longer be the case. Interesting to see how they respond, if at all.

Exactly.

| Sat 30 Jan 2016 12:25:41 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Review here...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/sky-q-review-easy-to-use-and-the-multi-room-is-smooth-and-seamless-a6844276.html

The "fluid viewing" (pause in main room, move to bedroom and resume) sounds impressive. Freesat have stiff competition on the features front.

| Mon 1 Feb 2016 20:58:28 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.