My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Slow copying SD recordings to USB sticks

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

Copying SD recordings from my FVP-4000T to USB sticks is extremely slow, copying a 1.6GB recording took about 3 hours, is this normal?

I have tried on both the side and back USB ports with different USB sticks and all combinations are slow, I haven’t tried a USB HDD would that be faster?

It’s not the speed of the USB sticks as they are much faster on a PC.

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:17:00 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's normally down to two reasons.

Servicing the usb port is a low priority operation for the box cpu (It has to maintain the primary pvr functions).

The box has to decrypt content on copying.

It may help to put the box on a radio channel (or off air channel) during copying.

Using a faster device won't help. I don't have the box so can't give a figure for download speeds.

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:34:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

grahamlthompson - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Servicing the usb port is a low priority operation for the box cpu (It has to maintain the primary pvr functions).
    It may help to put the box on a radio channel (or off air channel) during copying.
    Using a faster device won't help. I don't have the box so can't give a figure for download speeds.

I also have a PVR-9200t that I modified years ago to add a USB 2.0 interface, the 9200 is at least 10 x faster than the FVP-4000t, does the 9200 have to decrypt too? I'm very surprised at the difference between the two devices.

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:45:00 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Advocas - 1 minute ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 10 minutes ago  » 

I also have a PVR-9200t that I modified years ago to add a USB 2.0 interface, the 9200 is at least 10 x faster than the FVP-4000t, does the 9200 have to decrypt too? I'm very surprised at the difference between the two devices.

The recordings on the 9200 are not encrypted. You can avoid the usb copy completely by using the box Samba server to copy and decrypt directly to networked PC. Not a clue if it's any faster than using USB.

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:47:31 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have copied material from the 2000T model to a thumb drive and it took only a matter of minutes. Can't remember exactly how long now but nowhere near the time it has taken your 4000T.

N.B. Just to rub salt into your wounds, I think Noah designed the hardware/software for my 2000T.

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:49:50 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I have copied material from the 2000T model to a thumb drive and it took only a matter of minutes. Can't remember exactly how long now but nowhere near the time it has taken your 4000T.
    N.B. Just to rub salt into your wounds, I think Noah designed the hardware/software for my 2000T.

The OPs box could have been carrying out cpu intensive operations like recording when the copying was done.

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:53:06 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

Copying to USB is extremely slow as I reported in the "Drive on PC" thread. It doesn't matter whether the FVP-4000T is doing anything or not.

Copying over Samba is much better - just the same as copying from one PC or NAS to another over my LAN or wifi network.

However, the Samba implementation on the FVP-4000T is flaky and might not be possible unless you have Windows 8 or 10 on the client PC. See the same "Drive on PC" thread for full details.

Richard

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 18:58:41 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

I have the lastest firmware 1.00.63 with Vista on a PC and also a Synology NAS box - if I create a network drive via either PC or NAS and copy recordings with Samba to either device, they are still encrypted. If I plug an external hard drive into the Humax USB port the files copy as decrypted and are playable - the problem with USB is the files take forever to copy over.

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 0:55:22 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

You could just set the files to copy at bedtime then they would be done when you get up the next morning. It's a bit like the watched pot syndrome.

That's what I tend to do with big updates on the computer.

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 10:12:56 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

Tried that with USB but 110GB needs more than just overnight based on my experience to date.

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 12:10:43 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.