My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Sluggish / slow TV Guide

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

I'm just throwing this out there.

The TV Guide on the HDR1000S is really slow. Slow to draw, slow to scroll, slow to change channel. Slow to get to favourites (4 remote button clicks). I really hate using Sky as an example (& I will NEVER go back to Sky!) but the TV Guide is very fast on their boxes. Getting to favourite channels is only 1 remote button press and they appear instantly. If Sky can do this on my ancient hated Amstrad box, surely Humax can do this with the latest tech?

Does anyone know if Humax are aware? Is anything planned for future software updates?

What I would like to see:
    1. Optimise the guide; if that means making it less whizzy / graphical / CPU intensive, so be it.
    2. Have the option where, if favourites are set up, pressing the TV Guide button on the remote automatically shows favourites rather than all channels. Maybe have something in settings to switch this behaviour on or off.
    3. Get rid of some the secondary menus. At the moment, clicking OK on a programme in the Guide doesn't change the channel, it brings up a secondary menu and you have to click OK yet again to "watch now". If the show is currently on, it should just switch the channel without showing that annoying menu. If folks want info, they can click the Info button on the remote. Ditto for recording.
    4. Optimise the amount of time taken to physically change channels. If you bypass the Guide and use the channel up / down buttons it still takes up to 2 seconds to switch channel. On Sky it's instant...

Thoughts?

| Tue 29 Jan 2013 13:52:29 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

souporjuice - 1 day ago  » 
    Does anyone know if Humax are aware? Is anything planned for future software updates?

These problems have all been highlighted in the official Freesat forum...

http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/free-time/bd-p/freetime

...will they get fixed? That's another question.

| Wed 30 Jan 2013 16:58:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outatime

Yep it's horribly slow, I thought about returning my box because it's so bad but for some reason have stuck with it. I've pretty much given up browsing the guide and just use my ipad to look at whats on, then I key in the channel number. I actually really hate using this box, it's not enoyable to use, I like things to be quick and responsive.

| Fri 15 Feb 2013 13:18:19 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

After a while you get used to it.

| Fri 15 Feb 2013 18:35:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

I still can't get used to it. I live in hope that they'll do something to speed it up, or at least make a few changes to reduce clicks.

One thing just occurred to me - the UI is written in HTML / JavaScript? JavaScript is an interpreted language so is always far slower than native code. There are coding techniques you can use to improve performance, but generally you're at the mercy of the interpreter you've chosen (which could theoretically be changed / upgraded to a more optimal one via s/w update), and the CPU (which obviously can't be upgraded unless you open up the box and swap it out with a faster one, which is obviously impractical and for many reasons probably wouldn't work anyway). Anyone who knows a bit more about this care to comment?

| Fri 15 Feb 2013 19:10:23 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.