My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Sofware updates for 9300T

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harold

Further to missing 'Record' icon on menu being replaced by 'games'.
    Will following software upgrade tool 'Flash9200' result in the hdd being wiped clean? Any thoughts on how to preserve recorded programs on hdd when getting the 'Record' icon replaced will be very welcome.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Harold

| Wed 1 Apr 2015 16:10:03 #1 |
  2. Biggles

Biggles

special member

The software is stored in non volatile RAM so using Flash9200 will not affect the hard drive in any way, your recordings will be safe assuming your hard disk hasn't failed (reading your other thread).

| Wed 1 Apr 2015 16:23:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harold

Hi Biggles,
    As I see the setup, if I download updated software into the RAM, at switch on, I would have imagined that the record icon would be present and as such be able to look at the hdd and see what programs are stored and be able to play them.
    My main concern is that at switch on, (first use of new program), the first job would be to format the drive and probably without asking!
    The hdd does run at switch on although only for about a minute or so, then goes quiet no matter what buttons are pressed. When I go into standby it does similar but for 2/3 seconds only, so cannot tell if it is still good or not.
    Anyway, thanks for the thouhts
    Best regards,
    Harold

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 16:35:16 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Harold - 48 minutes ago  » 
    As I see the setup, if I download updated software into the RAM, at switch on, I would have imagined that the record icon would be present and as such be able to look at the hdd and see what programs are stored and be able to play them.

Frankly I think that updating the software has very little chance of helping.

My main concern is that at switch on, (first use of new program), the first job would be to format the drive and probably without asking!

You seem to be making all this up. I have always been prompted before an automatic format (which happens when the Humax detects a hard drive that it thinks is unformatted).

The hdd does run at switch on although only for about a minute or so, then goes quiet no matter what buttons are pressed. When I go into standby it does similar but for 2/3 seconds only, so cannot tell if it is still good or not.

It still sounds to me as though the hard drive has failed.

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 17:27:54 #4 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Harold - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi Biggles,

The Record icon apears in the menu because the operating system (software) detects the presance of a hard drive, not because the software has been re-installed. If the hard drive has failed as Martin suggests (more than likely if you've tried re-seating the connectors to no avail) then the hard drive will not be detected by the software and the Record icon will not be displayed.

There is the possibility that power to the hard drive has failed but I suspect that same power also supplies the motherboard so then the PVR wouldn't work at all.

To reinforce what Martin has said, the PVR will not automatically format a hard drive that it 'sees' as already formatted. Your PVR is not 'seeing' the hard drive because of a connector failure or hard drive failure.

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 21:12:07 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harold

Hi Biggles,
    Thanks for that explanation of the operating system on swith on.
    Now I understand that it's first job is to look for the hdd.
    This has sent me off to get the testmeter out.
    On the motherboard power connector I have measured a nice steady
    5 volts dc and what I presume should be 12 volts is a reading between 6.5 and 7 volts fluctuating erratically.
    So.. either the hdd if demanding more current than it should or the psu is at fault. Do you know if the motherboard uses 12 volts anywhere else or is it all 5 volt logic?
    Investigations will have to be made in this respect before I bin it.
    Will let you know of any meaningful findings as/when they happen
    particularly if it results in a happy ending.
    Again many thanks for that.
    Best regards
    Harold

| Fri 3 Apr 2015 20:31:57 #6 |
  7. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Harold - 16 hours ago  » 
    Hi Biggles,
    Thanks for that explanation of the operating system on swith on.
    Now I understand that it's first job is to look for the hdd.
    This has sent me off to get the testmeter out.
    On the motherboard power connector I have measured a nice steady
    5 volts dc and what I presume should be 12 volts is a reading between 6.5 and 7 volts fluctuating erratically.
    So.. either the hdd if demanding more current than it should or the psu is at fault. Do you know if the motherboard uses 12 volts anywhere else or is it all 5 volt logic?
    Investigations will have to be made in this respect before I bin it.
    Will let you know of any meaningful findings as/when they happen
    particularly if it results in a happy ending.
    Again many thanks for that.
    Best regards
    Harold

I haven't looked in a 9300 so I can't advise you. There will be 5v and 12v lines going the the hard drive but are you sure you're looking at the 12v line? If you are sure then disconnect the cables to the hard drive and measure again, switch off and disconnect from the mains first. If the line now shows 12v then it could be the hard drive demanding too much current but it could also be an inability of the power supply to supply normal current due to a power supply fault. Do any of the big capacitors (usually vertically mounted large round things coated in plastic sheath) show bulging tops? Do I remember you have a second machine, if so can you compare voltage measuring points? Point to think about, could you repair the machine even if you find a problem. Please be very careful, there are lethal voltages in the power supply area, work with one hand in your pocket is always a good tip.

| Sat 4 Apr 2015 12:45:22 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harold

Hi Biggles,
    Thanks for the encouragement and warning tips. Yes the 12v does reappear when there is no load. but without breaking into the feed line and actually measuring the current flow I can't tell much.
    (Do you have any idea where I may be able to get a circuit diagram, this would help enormously?)
    No, all capacitors look healthy at first glance, although there are a cluster of surface mount resistors on the motherboard close to the point where the psu is connected and one of the group looks odd and when I get time will see if 12v can be found at either end, reconnect the hdd and check again.
    As before, will keep you up to date as/when I get somewhere.
    Have a good Easter.
    Harold.

PS Have quite a bit of experience desoldering and replacing smc's
    etc.

| Sat 4 Apr 2015 19:08:34 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.