My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Sort folders?

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

Hi, I'm loving my 2000T, as yet I have only one little niggle which is the order the recorded TV folders are in, they are all in alphabetical order, I would much prefer them to be in Time/date order. Please note that I'm nor referring to the individually recorded programmes (I have them sorted by date), I'm referring to the list of folders of series of programmes. I have tried selecting them all then clicking opt+ then sort (alphabetically), then opt+ (channel), then opt+ (time), but the folders never change place.

Is this just how it's supposed to be? The manual gives me the impression that I should be able to sort the order of folders by time.

Many thanks in advanced. Cris.

| Thu 3 Nov 2016 13:09:26 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

crashcris - 12 hours ago  » 
    Is this just how it's supposed to be?

Yes, only the recordings are sortable, not the folders.

| Fri 4 Nov 2016 1:30:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

That's a bit of a shame but thank you for answering.

| Fri 4 Nov 2016 9:58:45 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

crashcris - 6 hours ago  » 

I cannot fathom why anyone would not to prefer to have folders in alphabetical order. It might be different on a PC where you have a folder structure which may contain hundreds of folders but not for the few folders on a PVR surely.

| Fri 4 Nov 2016 16:52:58 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

Faust - 4 minutes ago  » 

crashcris - 6 hours ago  » 

I cannot fathom why anyone would not to prefer to have folders in alphabetical order. It might be different on a PC where you have a folder structure which may contain hundreds of folders but not for the few folders on a PVR surely.

I also have an Icecrypt PVR and that sorts the FOLDERS in the date they are created. Personally I find this really useful as Folders of programmes you've kept but don't want to access often slip down the list whereas programmes that are on series record, watched then deleted, keep to the top of the list. As I said, this is a minor niggle and something I would like the machine to do. Everyone will have their own preferences.

I find sorting by date so much more useful as there are days I record several programmes that look interesting (some might be series) and a few days later can't necessarily remember exactly what they're called, so I have to read down and up the list of folders (in only blocks of 5) trying to find the correct folder. At present I only have a list of about 30 recording files and folders to look through, so it's not too difficult, but when I fill up the machine, no doubt it'll get quite tedious trying to locate folders.

Also, recently a lot of programmes are prefixed with the word "NEW" (indicating the latest series of), such as "New_Dark Angel" which means that the programme folder for "Dark Angel" is somewhere in the middle of the folders grouped with all the other "New" folders rather than near the top. So now you have effectively two sets of folders and one set of file lists to scroll through. For a further example, the programme "Horizon" is now listed as "New_Horizon", however older repeats are found in a folder called "Horizon".

There shouldn't be any reason the facility to sort them alphabetically or by date backwards or forwards isn't possible, it's just an index, it's not physically moving the folders/ files.

I hope that all makes sense. Cris.

| Fri 4 Nov 2016 17:29:47 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Well to each his own. Personally I don't have more than 10 folders and the reason for this is simple. If the box ever goes tits up then you have effectively lost recordings you may have wished to keep. I regularly remove stuff I would watch again and load it onto my NAS drive which has better redundancy.

Obviously these are programmes I have recorded in SD - which is the majority, as I find the quality more than acceptable.

| Sat 5 Nov 2016 0:00:02 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

I'm well aware that these Humax machines can go tits-up, in fact all my PVRs are likely to mess up one day (that's why I have 4 different machines set to record most the time so if any mess up the others are the back ups till I see whatever programmes) . I like TV and have quite large sets, so it's generally all HD for me, SD is ok for a bit ITV2 or E4, but HD on a 55inch samsung looks spectacular not to mention the 5.1 soundtrack you get from some BBC and Channel 4 broadcasts.

Even though I can't sort my recordings as I'd like at least I'm not stuck with the dog of a machine that is the FVP4000. I keep reading the forum on that machine and it seems pitiful the problems users are having to suffer.

Cris.

| Sat 5 Nov 2016 0:26:13 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

crashcris - 12 hours ago  » 
    I'm well aware that these Humax machines can go tits-up, in fact all my PVRs are likely to mess up one day (that's why I have 4 different machines set to record most the time so if any mess up the others are the back ups till I see whatever programmes) . I like TV and have quite large sets, so it's generally all HD for me, SD is ok for a bit ITV2 or E4, but HD on a 55inch samsung looks spectacular not to mention the 5.1 soundtrack you get from some BBC and Channel 4 broadcasts.
    Even though I can't sort my recordings as I'd like at least I'm not stuck with the dog of a machine that is the FVP4000. I keep reading the forum on that machine and it seems pitiful the problems users are having to suffer.
    Cris.

Yes I know. People have been telling me how good HD is since it's inception. I have got a large HD TV myself but sit around 12 feet away. Therefore I simply do not get the benefit of HD and from this distance SD looks (to my eyes and that of my wife) just as good.

Now 4K is something entirely different. I can see a real benefit from 4K though sadly there isn't a great deal of material to watch from the main broadcasters.

This makes it a win win as I can record far more hours of TV in SD on the Humax plus I can copy those programmes I wish to keep and store them on my NAS.

| Sat 5 Nov 2016 12:34:25 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

My TV is 4K and it plays Youtube videos beautifully with a ridiculous clarity, it also plays Amazon Prime 4K and to be honest although it's fractionally sharper than HD it's nowhere near the Youtube experience. I wear glasses for HD TV and take them off for SD. HD broadcasts do eat up the memory but well worth it for me. Just wish there was a way to archive the programmes.

| Sat 5 Nov 2016 12:54:00 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

colirv

I have an Archive folder, to which I move all the folders that I no longer need to keep current. One click to get into that, then all the older folders are in alphabetical order and easy to find. I suspect I can find a given folder quicker than if they were all in one long list not in alphabetical order.

| Sat 5 Nov 2016 16:41:04 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.