My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Sound and Picture controls

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

willythecat

Hi everyone, just joined and the site looks really good.
    My old tv and the single cable Sky box was getting a tad old, and l was getting tired of changing the valves in them.
    So, bought a new 102cm Philips LED TV (series 3000) together with a new Humax HDR 1000S 1tb.
    Well, it's certainly different from the old Sky box and l'm still in a learning curve at the moment!

Whenever l switch to any HD channel, the sound control on the Humax remote fails to work and this has to done via the tv's remote.

Searching through some of the channels, like CBS/Judge Judy and Channel ITV3?/The Saint, the picture comes up with large black bars to the left and right.
    I then have to use the tv's remote to "try" and change the screen format, but hey, this never even happened with the Sky box!

Is this just something that l will have to live with?
    Regards

| Wed 11 Dec 2013 19:49:30 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Turn off surround sound in the box TV setup menu. HD channels use ac3 audio, turning off surround forces the box to output lpcm stereo.

The only way to display 4:3 content on a 16:9 display without seriously distorting the picture is with black bars or cutting of a lot of the top and bottom of the picture.

| Wed 11 Dec 2013 20:00:35 #2 |
  3. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

To get rid of the black bars, go into picture settings and set the display format to Anamorphic.
    However, if there are 4:3 program's being shown on any HD channels then you will still get black bars.
    As for your volume problem, best advise is to get a One For All remote, set the box to max volume and set the remote to just control the tv volume.

| Wed 11 Dec 2013 20:38:31 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Donj

When I use TV sound I have to ensure the TV is set to 50% before using the Humax control to vary volume. They both then end up at about 50%.

| Wed 11 Dec 2013 22:09:32 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Donj - 20 minutes ago  » 
    When I use TV sound I have to ensure the TV is set to 50% before using the Humax control to vary volume. They both then end up at about 50%.

If you make the change I posted you can then set the Humax box volume to 100%. From then on HD and SD channel volumes will be the same.

You can then use the TV volume to control the volume or the Box remote if you wish.

Changing from HD to SD channels should be seamless volume wise.

The difference is down to the different sound compression systems used between HD and SD channels.

HD channels offer full 5.1 surround sound from some broadcasts, you only need this if you have the kit to exploit it.

| Wed 11 Dec 2013 22:36:42 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

willythecat - 1 day ago  » 

Searching through some of the channels, like CBS/Judge Judy and Channel ITV3?/The Saint, the picture comes up with large black bars to the left and right.
    I then have to use the tv's remote to "try" and change the screen format, but hey, this never even happened with the Sky box!
    Is this just something that l will have to live with?
    Regards

I don't understand why a lot of people like to watch 4:3 programmes in stretchy-vision (or zoomed), personally I'd rather watch 4:3 programmes in 4:3, black bars have never bothered me. (Maybe it is something to do with getting their money's worth out of the TV)
    Many years ago I used to watch 16:9 programmes on my old 4:3 CRT with black bars at the top & bottom, although I did find the TV a little on the small side for letterbox movies.

| Fri 13 Dec 2013 11:10:06 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

willythecat

Thanks everyone, some interesting points in there, and my apologies for the delay in replying.
    The Humax remote functions just seem a tad more involved over the Sky remote, but l'm still learning and it sort of gets a little easier with time and practice.
    Seems like Humax should have sat down in the first place and said hey, what does everyone want, and how can we do this in the easiest possible way using our remote?
    Clearly they didn't, but hey ho, that's big Companies for you!
    Anyway, thanks for the replies and am learning a lot from this forum.
    Regards

| Fri 13 Dec 2013 16:51:33 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.