My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Sound control issues

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

auntyp

Hi all, new member! I have bought the 1010S and love it.... EXCEPT that I'm having huge problems with the sound!

Have a yamaha sound bar because we have trouble hearing dialogue, it is connected via the Humax

I have all my recordings set in advance and yet the variation in the sound levels of recordings is downright shocking. Gives us such a fright - and the neighbours too! It is completely random - some record low, others OK and the rest 'earsplitting'

Is the recording level a sound bar problem or a humax problem?

Any advice warmly welcomed.

Auntyp

| Sun 14 Jun 2020 10:03:02 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

auntyp - 53 mins ago  » 
    Hi all, new member! I have bought the 1010S and love it.... EXCEPT that I'm having huge problems with the sound!
    Have a yamaha sound bar because we have trouble hearing dialogue, it is connected via the Humax
    I have all my recordings set in advance and yet the variation in the sound levels of recordings is downright shocking. Gives us such a fright - and the neighbours too! It is completely random - some record low, others OK and the rest 'earsplitting'
    Is the recording level a sound bar problem or a humax problem?
    Any advice warmly welcomed.
    Auntyp

Welcome to our forum
    It's neither. It's down to the Audio Compression codec used on HD channels. (Dolby Digital). SD channels use mpeg 1 layer 2. The Humax remote volume control can vary the volume of mpeg1 layer 2 audio, but not Dolby Digital. The volume level of Dolby Digital cannot be varied until after the the audio is decoded to an analogue signal. The following steps forces the box to use mpeg 1 layer 2 for all channels.

Follow the following steps.

Tune to a SD channel. Using your sound bar volume control turn down the volume so you don't deafen yourself in the next step.

Using the Humax remote turn up the volume level to near max (default is 50%).

Turn up your Sound bar volume to a normal listening level.

Using the Humax remote Press the Home button and select settings. Select Picture and Sound. Select Digital audio out and change it to stereo.

Change to a HD channel to confirm volume is similar to SD.

From now on use the sound bar volume control.

Note - If you do a factory reset you will have to repeat the above as this will revert to 50% volume and reset digital audio out to surround.

Also if you set a power on timer be sure to set the volume to max, otherwise the level will revert to 50%.

| Sun 14 Jun 2020 11:09:21 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

auntyp

Thank you so much for this Graham - going to get huz to do this and will let you know how it goes.

Really appreciate your time and expertise.

Auntyp

| Sun 14 Jun 2020 14:48:09 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

auntyp - 5 hours ago  » 
    Thank you so much for this Graham - going to get huz to do this and will let you know how it goes.
    Really appreciate your time and expertise.
    Auntyp

You should trust yourself.

If you can post on this forum. you have the capability to use the internet.

You alone had the confidence to seek the solution, all the steps are reversible so no risk at all.

It will take around 5 mins to fix,

And you can say to huz, i fixed this

Think of the brownie points

| Sun 14 Jun 2020 20:50:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

auntyp

I DID IT!!!!! Got the Brownie points but worried his expectations are rising on the back of my success - the double edged sword LOL!

All the signs are that your fix worked Graham - thank you sooooo much.

| Wed 17 Jun 2020 20:24:01 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

auntyp - 1 hour ago  » 
    I DID IT!!!!! Got the Brownie points but worried his expectations are rising on the back of my success - the double edged sword LOL!
    All the signs are that your fix worked Graham - thank you sooooo much.

You are welcome

Not that hard in the end

| Wed 17 Jun 2020 21:26:01 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.