My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Sound problem

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Donj

I have to ask if this is normal only I am sure it was not on my old Humax HDR. I have the 1000s connected, via optic fibre cable, to a Panasonic sound bar. With the 1000s box volume set to 0 only HD channels provide good volume through the sound bar. Going to ALL SD channels there is no volume whatsoever until I increase the box volume to almost MAX. I have carried out a factory reset with no resulting difference.

Is this normal for the 1000s.

When I switch to my Panasonic Smart TV, with signal through an element aerial, sound volume set to 0, ALL channels, SD and HD, play through the sound bar with ample volume.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 21:31:11 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Donj

Experimenting I find the 1000s volume has to be set on 45 (TV's own volume still set to 0) so that both SD and HD channels are about equal in volume from the sound bar. I suppose this is to do with the HD bandwidth (listen to me).

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 21:45:08 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's down to the fact that the box can only control the output volume of the MP2 audio used by SD channels. The HD channels use Dolby Digital (ac3) audio. The volume is encoded within the digital stream. As a result to vary the volume it has to be done after the ac3 decoder has processed the signal. Turning off surround sound will force the box to decode ac3 internally and output stereo lpcm as it does for SD channels so the box volume control will now work. Of course you lose the capability to use 5.1 sound when the HD channel programme has a 5.1 audio track.

| Fri 25 Oct 2013 10:44:31 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Donj

Thanks for the explanation.

| Sat 26 Oct 2013 6:51:36 #4 |
  5. Wallace

Wallace

special member

Yes, thank you Graham. That was nicely put and easy to understand.

| Sat 26 Oct 2013 13:10:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

For what it is worth, I tried connecting via optic cable to five different sound bars and the result was a very low volume level just as you described. I now use a Sharp HT SB-30 sound-bar that connects via the phono socket on the TV and found the sound quality pretty amazing.

| Sat 14 Dec 2013 12:43:56 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.