My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Sound problem using RCA phono outputs on DTRT2100

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

youview

I have a BT youview Humax DTRT2100. The sound output is connected to a Cambridge Audio sound base using a digital "lightpipe" and works perfectly.
    However, I want to connect it to my stereo system (Quad 44/405). To do this I have to use the RCA (phono plug) sockets on the 2100 as the Quad 44 has no digital input. I get a sound signal but I also get a continual loud hum/whine at approx 493 hz (B above middle C). This hum stays at the same volume regardless of where I set the volume on the Quad. In fact the hum starts as soon as I connect the signal lead between the 2100 and the Quad and makes the sound completely unlistenable. I'm using an authentic Quad signal lead which works perfectly with other sound sources, so I'm convinced the lead is ok. The problem seems to be something specific to the 2100.
    Anyone got any ideas as to how to solve this problem?

| Sun 5 Mar 2017 19:44:39 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Have you adjusted the volume of the DTR-T2100 to maximum?

If you have already paired the youview remote with the TV then you can still change the DTR-T2100's volume by holding down the AD button while using the volume buttons.

| Sun 5 Mar 2017 20:16:45 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

youview

Hi Luke,
    Yes, I've had the DTR-T2100 volume at full and at almost zero and everywhere in between. Even with the volume at full the background hum is too loud to be anywhere near acceptable.

Luke - 2 hours ago  » 
    Have you adjusted the volume of the DTR-T2100 to maximum?
    If you have already paired the youview remote with the TV then you can still change the DTR-T2100's volume by holding down the AD button while using the volume buttons.

| Sun 5 Mar 2017 23:17:54 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

youview

Hi Luke, Yes I've tried that. The 2100's volume is at maximum but, as I said previously, the hum starts at soon as I connect the 2100 to my Quad and continues, unchanged and unaltered, regardless of where I set the volume on the 2100.
    Regards
    Rob

| Mon 6 Mar 2017 12:13:55 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

6. User has not uploaded an avatar

youview

I've done some more experimenting and I find that the hum goes if I disconnect the HDMI plug from the back of the Humax. The sound through my Quad system is then perfect but, of course, I get no picture. N.b. the hum remains if the HDMI is connected to the Humax but disconnected from the TV, so it's not a problem with the TV.
    Any ideas?

| Mon 6 Mar 2017 13:16:52 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

youview - 2 hours ago  » 
    I've done some more experimenting and I find that the hum goes if I disconnect the HDMI plug from the back of the Humax. The sound through my Quad system is then perfect but, of course, I get no picture. N.b. the hum remains if the HDMI is connected to the Humax but disconnected from the TV, so it's not a problem with the TV.
    Any ideas?

Hdmi cables radiate interference usually in the UHF band. If you can't seperates the cabling or a new hdmi cable doesn't fix, I would try making up the phono interconnects using WF/PF100 satellite grade coax using f connectors and rca phono converters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-F-Type-Screw-Male-to-RCA-PHONO-Socket-Adapter-Sat-Sky-TV-Aerial-Coax-Plug-/370734106318

| Mon 6 Mar 2017 15:28:58 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

youview

Thank you Graham for your thoughts and advice on this.

Initially I had dismissed the idea of an earth loop because all the earth loops I've suffered from in the past have produced a hum at a much lower frequency. Nevertheless, I disconnected the earth from my Quad 44 and, Hey Presto, hum gone and perfect sound quality. However, I'm really not keen on running my Quads without any earth, bearing in mind that neither the Humax or the TV are earthed, having low voltage, two wire PSUs.

Consequently I'm going to follow your other idea of taking the toslink through a DAC. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. The ones you suggested don't get good reviews, I guess you pay for what you get, so I've decided to buy a Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 100 for £160ish which gets good reviews and has a variety of inputs. This will also enable me to use my imac via one of the other digital inputs.

Thanks again for your help.
    Rob

grahamlthompson - 23 hours ago  » 

youview - 2 hours ago  » 
    Any ideas?

Hdmi cables radiate interference usually in the UHF band. If you can't seperates the cabling or a new hdmi cable doesn't fix, I would try making up the phono interconnects using WF/PF100 satellite grade coax using f connectors and rca phono converters.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-F-Type-Screw-Male-to-RCA-PHONO-Socket-Adapter-Sat-Sky-TV-Aerial-Coax-Plug-/370734106318

| Tue 7 Mar 2017 14:44:38 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

youview - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Initially I had dismissed the idea of an earth loop because all the earth loops I've suffered from in the past have produced a hum at a much lower frequency. Nevertheless, I disconnected the earth from my Quad 44 and, Hey Presto, hum gone and perfect sound quality. However, I'm really not keen on running my Quads without any earth, bearing in mind that neither the Humax or the TV are earthed, having low voltage, two wire PSUs.
    Consequently I'm going to follow your other idea of taking the toslink through a DAC. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. The ones you suggested don't get good reviews, I guess you pay for what you get, so I've decided to buy a Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 100 for £160ish which gets good reviews and has a variety of inputs. This will also enable me to use my imac via one of the other digital inputs.
    Rob

youview - 2 hours ago  » 
    Any ideas?

You are welcome, let us know how the dac works out

Not sure you will get much better performance from the expensive DAC as TV audio especially SD sourced MP2 isn't that good in the first place.

| Tue 7 Mar 2017 14:56:51 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

youview

Good point but, as I say, the DACMAGIC will give me the option of inputting my imac and other digital sources. I'll certainly let you know how it goes.
    R

grahamlthompson - 14 minutes ago  » 

youview - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Rob

youview - 2 hours ago  » 
    Any ideas?

You are welcome, let us know how the dac works out
    Not sure you will get much better performance from the expensive DAC as TV audio especially SD sourced MP2 isn't that good in the first place.

| Tue 7 Mar 2017 15:13:14 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.