My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

STB mode not available while recording

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

PeatyGodders

I have recently noticed that sometimes when I go into Settings and select System, for example to switch to STB mode, it offers me only the startup/shutdown menu. I have come to the conclusion that possibly this happens when the unit is in the process of recording a Freesat channel, and the system menu goes back to normal, so that I can select STB mode, when the recording is finished or deleted. Is this a known feature, and if so, is there any way of getting round it?

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 11:47:08 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Switching to non-freesat mode would terminate your freesat recordings, and while in non freesat mode (at a guess would stop any scheduled ones working). So sensibly the option is disabled.

In non freesat mode the box becomes a generic free to air box, it has no access to the Freesat epg (and in the case of freetime units no recording capability).

The earlier Foxsat-hdr did have a on screen warning that a Freesat recording was due and warned you to switch back while on, and automatic switch back while in sby. Non freesat mode though on this box was able to make manual recordings from none freesat channels.

If you want to find out what happens set a recording more than 15 minutes away and switch to non freesat mode. Observe what happens. Repeat with the box put in sby after setting a recording.

If you do the test please post what happens as the information will be useful to other freetime box users.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 12:00:26 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

PeatyGodders

I have just tried the tests - with not completely the results I expected.

At about 2:45pm I scheduled a recording of a programme due to start at 3:00pm. I then went into Settings and selected STB mode. When I pressed OK on the usual highlighted bar to confirm, the bar went to a faded colour, but nothing else happened. I tried this a couple of times with the same result. However, when I pressed Exit on the remote a non-Freesat channel duly appeared.

I left this running, and was able to change to other non-Freesat channels. At about 3:10pm I selected Home on the remote, but nothing happened. After a couple of other failed attempts I switched the unit into standby. When I switched it back on again the menu to switch back to Freesat mode appeared and worked OK.

It looks as if the recording then started - i.e. at about 3:10pm.

I then deleted that recording and scheduled another for a programme starting at 3:30pm. After that I switched to STB mode with no problem and put the unit into standby.

I switched back on again at about 3:40pm, and this time it came on in STB mode but with the menu option to switch to Freesat mode highlighted. Once again, when I did this, the recording started from that point.

This would indicate that you are absolutely spot-on, that when in STB mode it "forgets" all about its Freesat functions, but remembers them again when back in Freesat mode. The glitches on my first test were presumably down to a software bug, which I guess should be reported to Humax if anyone else can replicate it.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 16:47:16 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

PeatyGodders - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have just tried the tests - with not completely the results I expected.
    At about 2:45pm I scheduled a recording of a programme due to start at 3:00pm. I then went into Settings and selected STB mode. When I pressed OK on the usual highlighted bar to confirm, the bar went to a faded colour, but nothing else happened. I tried this a couple of times with the same result. However, when I pressed Exit on the remote a non-Freesat channel duly appeared.
    I left this running, and was able to change to other non-Freesat channels. At about 3:10pm I selected Home on the remote, but nothing happened. After a couple of other failed attempts I switched the unit into standby. When I switched it back on again the menu to switch back to Freesat mode appeared and worked OK.
    It looks as if the recording then started - i.e. at about 3:10pm.
    I then deleted that recording and scheduled another for a programme starting at 3:30pm. After that I switched to STB mode with no problem and put the unit into standby.
    I switched back on again at about 3:40pm, and this time it came on in STB mode but with the menu option to switch to Freesat mode highlighted. Once again, when I did this, the recording started from that point.
    This would indicate that you are absolutely spot-on, that when in STB mode it "forgets" all about its Freesat functions, but remembers them again when back in Freesat mode. The glitches on my first test were presumably down to a software bug, which I guess should be reported to Humax if anyone else can replicate it.

No glitch in your first test, you forgot the more than 15 mins

When making an accurate recording the box wakes up about 15 mins before a accurate recording is due to watch for the start recording signal from the broadcaster, so is still locked out from switching to non-freesat mode.

I take it the box didn't warn you to switch back to freesat mode in the pre recording 15 minute window. A Foxsat-hdr puts up a warning message.

| Wed 13 Jan 2016 18:02:09 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

PeatyGodders

Well spotted! My mistake. I had not understood the precise nature of the 15 minute "cordon sanitaire". I have now repeated the test by setting up at 9:50am today a recording of a program scheduled for 10:15am, then immediately switching to STB mode, which worked as normal.

At 10:25am I pressed Home and was able to switch back to Freesat mode with no problem. I am not absolutely certain about the recording. It appeared to start exactly at the beginning of the programme but this may be because the broadcaster (PBS America) had inserted a lot of "padding" before the actual programme start. More experimenting needed I suspect.

I am not absolutely convinced though, that the software is bug-free. In my first test yesterday when I was within the 15 minute limit, the system menu still offered me the option to switch to STB mode, although it didn't work properly. Only when I pressed Exit did a non-Freesat programme appear. Later, the Home button didn't work, so I had to go into standby and turn back on again to see the option to switch back to Freesat.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 11:36:50 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

PeatyGodders

I have now performed several more tests, being careful to observe the 15 minute rule, and using Sky News, which is conveniently broken up into 30 minute "chunks", as my recording "guinea pig". Unlike yesterday, today I waited until a few minutes after the end of the scheduled recording before checking the results, as I was not confident in my conclusion yesterday that recording always started from the point where I went back into Freesat mode during the scheduled recording time.

My conclusions, for what they are worth, are

1 When a recording is in progress, the system menu does not offer the option to switch to STB mode.

2 Within the 15 minute period beforehand it does, but the process doesn't work as normal.

3 If the box is set to STB mode and put into standby more than 15 minutes before the recording starts, the recording fails.

4 If the box is set to STB mode more than 15 minutes before the recording starts, and left running, the recording works. (This surprised me, but it happened in two separate tests.)

I am not sure what this tells us, except that STB mode and recordings do not mix well.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 17:40:07 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.