My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Stick with Free FVP4000 or go with Humax Freesat ?

(16 posts)
  1. Trev

Trev

special member

Is that more than you can ever possibly watch Faust?

| Mon 25 Mar 2019 19:33:51 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

carvell - 2 days ago  » 
    I wouldn't move to Freesat if I were you - they don't have Channel 4 HD.

Not really a deal breaker for many I would have thought. We record most of our programmes in SD as we’re quite happy with the PQ plus we get more recordings on the PVR that way.

Either you have very small TV or sit too far away from a larger TV to not see the picture artefacts arising from trying to watch upscaled TV on a larger screen.

Either way perhaps you need to visit specsavers,

Even on a smaller TV the much more efficient H264/AVC video compression codec used on HD channels is very evident if you get close enough. Not to mention the the superior audio AC3/AAC used on HD channels,

Even at 73 I can instantly spot a a low bitrate SD source displayed on my high end Panasonic Full-HD - TV

Why buy a Full-HD modern PVR when any of the older DVB-T models would work just as well ?

| Mon 25 Mar 2019 19:50:53 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Trev - 12 hours ago  » 
    Is that more than you can ever possibly watch Faust?

No, it means we can save those we would like to watch again. We have some recordings that are 6 years old.

| Tue 26 Mar 2019 8:34:35 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 12 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

carvell - 2 days ago  » 
    I wouldn't move to Freesat if I were you - they don't have Channel 4 HD.

Not really a deal breaker for many I would have thought. We record most of our programmes in SD as we’re quite happy with the PQ plus we get more recordings on the PVR that way.

Either you have very small TV or sit too far away from a larger TV to not see the picture artefacts arising from trying to watch upscaled TV on a larger screen.
    Either way perhaps you need to visit specsavers,
    Even on a smaller TV the much more efficient H264/AVC video compression codec used on HD channels is very evident if you get close enough. Not to mention the the superior audio AC3/AAC used on HD channels,
    Even at 73 I can instantly spot a a low bitrate SD source displayed on my high end Panasonic Full-HD - TV
    Why buy a Full-HD modern PVR when any of the older DVB-T models would work just as well ?

55 inch 4K LG Graham. We do however sit around 13 feet from the TV and from that distance any benefits derived from HD are minimal. If I move closer to the TV then of course I can see the drop in SD PQ.

When compared to the monochrome 12 inch Bush we had as a child complete with screen magnifier (you will know what I mean Graham) today’s TV is a blooming marvel, even in SD.

| Tue 26 Mar 2019 8:43:19 #14 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

I remember Kenny Everett saying one Saturday morning that he would rather watch a colour test card than a programme in B/W. What a brilliant comedian that man was.

| Tue 26 Mar 2019 17:34:12 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Trev - 5 minutes ago  » 
    I remember Kenny Everett saying one Saturday morning that he would rather watch a colour test card than a programme in B/W. What a brilliant comedian that man was.

I remember colour Tv on the cheap. A coloured filter blue at the top and green at the bottom. OK for Grass and Sky but useless for anything else

First colour TV I ever saw was a Baird at an Ideal Home Exhibition in London.

| Tue 26 Mar 2019 17:42:14 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.