My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Streamed content servers missing

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

martinlangley

Hi all

I have a nice new 1100s and its generally wonderful but I have a problem with existing servers for streamed content. Essentially I have been streaming to a Roku (Plex) box for months now so was keen to use the ethernet connected alternative via the Humax.

Problem is when choosing "Humax" from the menu, the servers (Plex and
    Microsoft Media Centre) appear momentarily but then vanish along with their content. I've checked in settings and the ethernet connection is seemingly fine so anybody have any ideas as to how to resolve?

Thanks in advance
    Martin

| Sat 28 May 2016 16:10:46 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. What exactly are hoping to stream from Plex and Media Centre. Content stored on your PC ?. What format are the recordings (container and contents) ?

You can't divert content you are streaming to using the above to somehow play using the Humax.

| Sat 28 May 2016 16:19:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

martinlangley

There's a variety of audio, say Bob Dylan albums etc plus some movies and recorded video content from a previous Humax box e.g. "Horizon" from BBC2 and assorted Attenborough.

Strangely enough, in the meantime I've written a selection of the files to a USB stick and plugged that in directly. The box reads the audio content fine but will not recognize any of the movies etc.

Could you kindly clarify, "You can't divert content you are streaming to using the above to somehow play using the Humax." since I've no idea what this means. What is it I cannot do?

Cheers

ML

| Sat 28 May 2016 20:30:55 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

martinlangley - 16 minutes ago  » 
    There's a variety of audio, say Bob Dylan albums etc plus some movies and recorded video content from a previous Humax box e.g. "Horizon" from BBC2 and assorted Attenborough.
    Strangely enough, in the meantime I've written a selection of the files to a USB stick and plugged that in directly. The box reads the audio content fine but will not recognize any of the movies etc.
    Could you kindly clarify, "You can't divert content you are streaming to using the above to somehow play using the Humax." since I've no idea what this means. What is it I cannot do?
    Cheers
    ML

The Humax cannot play content you are streaming live with another device. It can only play back files you have previously saved on another device that has a DLNA server and only in a container and contained video and audio it understands.

Without any knowledge of the container and what is inside it, it's impossible to comment further, except that the free programme MediaInfo will identify the contained video and audio (see treeview which has a text export of the full details).

The file extension (eg .ts transport stream is the container). See here for what video and audio compression codecs each container can contain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

Note the content you want to stream has to be shared and available to the DLNA server.

| Sat 28 May 2016 20:54:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I find the Humax really picky about what it will and won't play, so much so that I never use it anymore. Far better results either using the media app on the TV itself or something like Chromecast etc.

| Sat 28 May 2016 22:59:42 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.