(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

So what would you advise me to do?

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 16:28:30 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Need some idea of your location ant type of property. Do have a accessible loft ?

Enter your postcode and house number here and tick the detailed view and post the results,

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

Can you run a coax cable from the loft to the box location ?

The Sky-dish is only useful if you have some sort of satellite receiver Though you might be able to divert the existing coax cables and use one of these to connect a aerial.

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 16:33:39 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

I live in Northern Ireland. My house is three storey with an accessible loft but it would be very difficult to run a cable to the ground floor which is where the box is located. This is what I got when I coverage check:
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/display/detailed/BT387DP/62/0/7clsf4bd7c8m8ka00chupdrnb5

The information it gives means nothing to me as I'm not technically minded. Does it give you the information you need? Would it be best to get a local aerial company out to instal a new loft or roof aerial?

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 16:43:27 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Georgypan - 8 minutes ago  » 
    I live in Northern Ireland. My house is three storey with an accessible loft but it would be very difficult to run a cable to the ground floor which is where the box is located. This is what I got when I coverage check:
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/display/detailed/BT387DP/62/0/7clsf4bd7c8m8ka00chupdrnb5
    The information it gives means nothing to me as I'm not technically minded. Does it give you the information you need? Would it be best to get a local aerial company out to instal a new loft or roof aerial?

In view of the fact that you have a 3 storey property it might be best to get a quote from a installer. The Good News is that you have an excellent signal.

As a stop gap if your TV is in a room on the same side of the building as the transmitter direction (look at neighbours aerials to find the direction) it might be worth trying a indoor aerial, I will post the detailed reception details in the next post.

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 16:54:29 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Full details

Attachments

1. Divis_Reception.jpg (253.4 KB, 7 downloads) 5 years old
    | Tue 12 Mar 2019 16:57:51 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

I'm glad you were able to read and explain the technical stuff to me Graham and very glad that I should get good reception when I get this all sorted out properly. I do happen to have a small indoor aerial which I used when I had a second TV on the top floor so I'll dig that out and see what happens. On the plus side to all of this, when I check my recording schedule, only two of them is for Channel 4 which is dodgy. All the others are the BBC channels which are being received perfectly.

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 17:03:54 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Georgypan - 14 minutes ago  » 
    I do happen to have a small indoor aerial which I used when I had a second TV on the top floor so I'll dig that out and see what happens.

If you are getting 50% signal strength with no aerial there must be a reasonable chance that a decent indoor aerial will be satisfactory.

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 17:20:07 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

I'll see if I can find it and come back to let you know how I get on.

Can I just say how grateful I am to you both for taking the time to help me.

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 17:22:51 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

Well I must say you guys are miracle workers as far as I'm concerned! I plugged in a little Pictek aerial and all the channels are up and running with perfect reception. Thank you again.

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 19:36:40 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Georgypan - 46 minutes ago  » 
    Well I must say you guys are miracle workers as far as I'm concerned! I plugged in a little Pictek aerial and all the channels are up and running with perfect reception. Thank you again.

The fact that you were able to get anything on a length of coax with a lnb on the other end meant you must be in a very strong area and close to a high power main transmitter.

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 20:25:45 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.