My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Stuttering reception

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

My PVP 5000T shows and records perfectly on BBC channels but on all others there is a lot of stuttering. When I first installed the PVR I was connected to my home network via wifi so I moved the router next to the TV and box and connected with the ethernet cable but it has made no difference. Can anything be done about this? I did wonder if it was a fault in the box but it is perfect with BBC channels.

| Sun 10 Mar 2019 15:09:50 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Could you tell us the signal strength and quality on a BBC channel and on a channel with poor reception (Press red F button, selecting Settings>Channel settings>Signal Test).

| Sun 10 Mar 2019 22:07:45 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

This is what it said:

On Channel 4 which was stuttering a bit but not as bad as earlier:
    Tuner 1: Strength 48% : Quality 70%
    Tuners 2 & 3 Strength 0% : Quality 0%

BB1 which doesn't stutter at all:
    Tuner 1: Strength 51% : Quality 100%

| Sun 10 Mar 2019 23:55:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

ITV just now is really bad. Tuner 1 Strength is 48% but Quality is jumping back and forward between 70% and 30%.

| Mon 11 Mar 2019 0:11:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Georgypan - 12 hours ago  » 
    ITV just now is really bad. Tuner 1 Strength is 48% but Quality is jumping back and forward between 70% and 30%.

First thing I would try is a manual tune using the instructions in the FAQ https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/manual-tuning-instructions-1

| Mon 11 Mar 2019 12:39:51 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

I'll try that thank you. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I forgot to tick the notify box and didn't realise you had replied.

| Mon 11 Mar 2019 22:27:34 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

I've followed the instructions and it all went as you say, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I'm not technically competent so I probably did something wrong since my program schedule hasn't been deleted after I went through the process. On the website you recommended my region shows four transmitters the main one of which looked to be healthy across all the channels. That one is the parent transmitter of the other three and the other three looked very poor. Is there anything further I can try do you think? Could it be my Sky dish, but it was working perfectly when I had the Sky Q box? Could it be a fault with the Humax box? If I thought that was the problem it's not too late to send it back. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 16:30:10 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Georgypan - 1 minute ago  » 
    I've followed the instructions and it all went as you say, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I'm not technically competent so I probably did something wrong since my program schedule hasn't been deleted after I went through the process. On the website you recommended my region shows four transmitters the main one of which looked to be healthy across all the channels. That one is the parent transmitter of the other three and the other three looked very poor. Is there anything further I can try do you think? Could it be my Sky dish, but it was working perfectly when I had the Sky Q box? Could it be a fault with the Humax box? If I thought that was the problem it's not too late to send it back. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

A tad confused this thread is labelled FVP-5000T which is a terrestrial box requiring an aerial. Your satellite dish cannot be involved unless you actually have a Freesat box.

If in fact you do have a freesat box, then the LNB used for Sky-Q is not suitable. It needs to be changed. Very simple if the dish is accessible.

Start by posting which box you have issues with.

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 16:35:19 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Georgypan

It's the Humax FVP-5000T Freeview Play Recorder. The satellite dish was installed by Sky and then when I upgraded to SkyQ they did make some adjustments. Do I need to abandon the dish and get someone out to install a different aerial?

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 17:16:57 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

If you have a 5000T connected to a satellite dish, you are lucky to have received anything. It is probably pickup on the cabling in which case the terrestrial signal must be very strong where you live.

Yes, you need some kind of normal TV aerial.

Looking at the prediction site again, how far are you from the main (parent) transmitter, and which is it?

| Tue 12 Mar 2019 17:26:46 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.