My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Subtitles on Aura FTP'd files

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

auroraman

I have FTP'd some converted programs to my PC, both SD and HD, but the files do not have any embedded DVB subtitles when viewed with VLC. Have I missed something or is it not possible to convert files without losing subtitles? If I FTP SD recordings without converting, they play with no problem and they DO have subtitles but HD programs of course will not play without converting first.

| Tue 9 Aug 2022 15:16:50 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

auroraman - 1 min ago  » 
    I have FTP'd some converted programs to my PC, both SD and HD, but the files do not have any embedded DVB subtitles when viewed with VLC. Have I missed something or is it not possible to convert files without losing subtitles?

I haven't seen it reported before but I guess the subtitles and probably various other meta data is being stripped out by the conversion which does have the benefit of reducing file size. It might be worth asking Humax support for confirmation and lodge a request to have an option to leave subtitles and or Audio Description in place when converting.

| Tue 9 Aug 2022 15:22:41 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

auroraman

I did ask Humax Support on their live chat and the guy I spoke to eventually said he would have to get back to me by email. Needless to say, I am still waiting! I also converted some SD files, before I realised that these are not encrypted and can be FTP'd directly. The resulting files were actually larger than the originals even though they had the subtitles stripped out. Incidentally I am not too pleased that converted files stay on the HDD alongside the originals, taking up space, and cannot, as far as I am aware, be deleted from the HDD separately from the original. FTP delete doesn't work!

| Mon 15 Aug 2022 10:37:15 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

desm52

auroraman - 2 days ago  » Incidentally I am not too pleased that converted files stay on the HDD alongside the originals, taking up space, and cannot, as far as I am aware, be deleted from the HDD separately from the original. FTP delete doesn't work!

You can delete just the converted files in the recordings list screen. Press blue button (Convert) on the remote control after selecting a recording with a converted file then choose delete.

| Wed 17 Aug 2022 18:13:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

auroraman

Thanks, that works!! I didn't spot that and there is no mention of it in the manual as far as I can see.

| Tue 23 Aug 2022 10:12:31 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

groovehat

I have also found that HD recordings have no subtitles when I copy them to a PC via FTP. However, I don't think the subtitles are removed by the conversion process, because they're still visible when you watch the converted programme on the Aura device.

This is what I've found.

All SD recordings have working subtitles where applicable, both on the Humax Aura and also when the .ts format file is transferred to Windows 10 and played back with VLC Media Player.

Also, my HD recordings have working subtitles when played back on the Humax Aura, both before and after conversion.

However, when I play an HD recording in _converted.ts format in VLC Media Player on Windows 10, the subtitle track is missing.

Does anyone have any more information on this?

| Tue 5 Dec 2023 12:09:26 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.