My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Sudden loss of some channels Foxsat 2

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

navman2

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 
    Should have been posted in Foxsat-HDR.
    Graham posted a link to his transponder list above.
    Question: Can you receive any of the channels with a V in the Polarisation column (vertically Polarised).
    If not it suggests a LNB fault. There is a very small chance (very rare) that the Foxsat is not switching correctly but that would be very rare.

How do I see if there is a V in the polarisation column please, where do I look? Also what is a LNB fault please?

Regards.

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 12:59:33 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

navman2 - 5 minutes ago  » 

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 
    Should have been posted in Foxsat-HDR.
    Graham posted a link to his transponder list above.
    Question: Can you receive any of the channels with a V in the Polarisation column (vertically Polarised).
    If not it suggests a LNB fault. There is a very small chance (very rare) that the Foxsat is not switching correctly but that would be very rare.

How do I see if there is a V in the polarisation column please, where do I look? Also what is a LNB fault please?
    Regards.

Have you got the .hmt file on your PC from

https://www.adrive.com/public/t3jBkt/FoxsatStaticMK2_011.htm

Once you have open your web browser and using the File menu open the downloaded file.

If you have excel (or a compatible spreadsheet) you can download the
    Excel version

You should see a table that looks like this.

Look at the first 4 columns they are seperated by coloured blocks. Each block is a satellite transponder. Each transponder carries multiple digital channels all mixed (Multiplexed) together. When you select a freesat channel, the tuner you are using in your box extracts that channel and shows it on your screen.

Column 3 shows the microwave frequency used by the satellite for those channels and Column 4 the polarisation (Horizontal or Vertical). The total frequency band is split to form Low Band and High Band channels. Column 5 indicates the polarisation and Band.

Example 104 Channel 4 uses 10714Mhz and is Horizontally polarised and is Low Band (LBH - Low Band Vertical).

Your task is to choose one channel from each coloured block and note which ones you can still use.

The lnb is the box on the end of the dish arm from which the coax connections come from.

Very briefly it collects the microwave frequencies reflected from the dish face and converts it to lower frequency that can be sent down the coax cables to the satellite box tuners. LNB is short for low noise block down converter.

Read this primer it explains how the satellite tuner switches the lnb between horizontal and vertical polarisation and between low band and high band.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm

Attachments

1. TransponderList.jpg (463.2 KB, 0 downloads) 6 years old
    | Fri 5 Jan 2018 13:14:06 #12 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

navman2 - 19 minutes ago  » 
    ..... Also what is a LNB fault please?
    Regards.

A LNB is the device at the end of your dish's arm. They are inexpensive and easy to replace.

More info http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 13:22:10 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 38 minutes ago  » 
    Example 104 Channel 4 uses 10714Mhz and is Horizontally polarised and is Low Band (LBV - Low Band Vertical).

Shouldn't that be LBH?

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 13:53:03 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 5 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 38 minutes ago  » 
    Example 104 Channel 4 uses 10714Mhz and is Horizontally polarised and is Low Band (LBV - Low Band Vertical).

Shouldn't that be LBH?

OOPS - of course it should, as in the table. Thanks Martin post edited.

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 13:59:20 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

navman2

Hi Graham, firstly many thanks for your comprehensive reply and answers. I have gone through the chart like you advised and conclude the following:

BAND: LBH Polarisation: H Result 99.9% Okay. A couple of exceptions:

Channel 107 BBC Four HD Frequency 11023 not available however Channel 200 BBC NEWS HD on the same frequency was available?
    Channel 139 Horror+1 on frequency 11389, Channel 691 DAYSTAR TV HD on frequency 11612 not available.

Band: LBV Polarisation: V Not available

Band: HBV Polarisation: V Okay

Does the above now identify me issue?

Thanks again and regards.

| Sun 7 Jan 2018 19:43:47 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

BBC Four HD is part time, the fact that you got the message indicates that had it been broadcasting you could have watched it.

Total loss of all low band vertical yet the few high band vertical channels are present seems to suggest it's your lnb has had it. Changing it is easy provided your dish is easy to get at.

Most and I guess yourself have sky-dishes of varying ages. Reason they are made in the millions and the dishes and lnb's to fit them are very cheap especially on e-bay.

Also a guess you are likely to have a 4 output quad lnb.

The latest is the MK4 dish that has a different lnb fitting to the earlier dishes. The lnb is the same just the way it fits to the dish arm is different. A photograph of the lnb end of the arm would help to identify. In any case a lnb bought from e-bay with a legacy adaptor should fit all but the ancient MK1 dish. If you can't safely get at the dish, you need someone who can.

| Sun 7 Jan 2018 20:12:15 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

navman2

Hi Graham I will take a picture and post it to you tomorrow (Monday). You are right I have an old Sky dish with 4 outputs. If you could point me to a suitable replacement on Ebay (after seeing my unit) that would be perfect. Is it easy to remove/replace the old unit? I wonder how easily it will come off after so long being outisde in the elements? I'm wondering if forcing anything could mess up the positioning and subsequent replacement?

Thanks again.

Regards.

| Mon 8 Jan 2018 0:14:40 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

navman2

Hi Graham, I am having trouble loading my pictures, i keep getting a message that I must submit some content and the site may have moved? I will keep trying in the meantime.

Regards,

Barry

| Mon 8 Jan 2018 12:12:18 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

navman2

Picture 1

| Mon 8 Jan 2018 12:13:47 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.