My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Switch tv on first or stb.

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveE

Hi all and a happy new year, on reading posts on this site I think it has been advised to switch on the TV and then whatever pvr you have. I have a Toshiba 39L4353DB tv with CEC turned off,if I turn the TV on first I have the blue screen and when I turn on my HDR1000S the tv screen flashes blue and black until the handshake is complete. Would it not be better to turn on the Humax first and wait for total boot up before turning on the tv or does it not make any difference which way it is done.

| Sun 1 Jan 2017 21:47:25 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Impossible to know how many members have the same combination. Why don't you try both and report what happens ?

That way someone else may gain from your test.

Make sure the box is in full sby (nothing due to record within 15 mins or currently recording) before testing. Otherwise you are not starting from the same state (Full-Sby, Prerecording sby, box waiting for a accurate recording start from the broadcaster, fully booted TV/AV receiver off and turned on)

A complete guess it is likely to make little difference but you may surprise us all

| Sun 1 Jan 2017 22:13:50 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Why not simply tune into the TVs own Freeview tuner before switching on the Humax then select the HDMI input. That's what I have always done. In fact I only switch on the Humax in order to watch a recording.

| Sun 1 Jan 2017 22:19:36 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

OP may not even have a TV with Freeview/Freeview-HD reception capability.

The initial boot conditions have quite a few initial starting points as posted.

Hard to guess why the OP did not simply try it out

For me whatever order I turn on the required kit to watch makes no difference. TV, AV receiver and PVR. That however only applies to my setup. The whole boot up to watch my HDR1000S is entirely controlled by a single button on my Harmony remote. Manual overide also makes no difference.

| Sun 1 Jan 2017 22:34:44 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I have a Philips smart TV (HDMI-CEC disabled) and a HDR-1000S. For me it does make a difference if I turn the HDR-1000S on first the TV does not switch to HDMI-1 as it was not ready. The TV's boot time is quite long.
    Switching the TV on and then immediately the HDR-1000S works fine.

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 8:02:11 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 3 hours ago  » 
    I have a Philips smart TV (HDMI-CEC disabled) and a HDR-1000S. For me it does make a difference if I turn the HDR-1000S on first the TV does not switch to HDMI-1 as it was not ready. The TV's boot time is quite long.
    Switching the TV on and then immediately the HDR-1000S works fine.

That might apply to my TV as well. But as it's always used with the HDMI input that my AV receiver is connected to and as it it always boots to the last used input, it's not an issue for me.

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 11:07:15 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveE

Thanks for the input everyone, it was just a question I had after seeing some posters on here say they switch the tv on before the humax. My tv when switched on boots up right away as the humax takes about 20-30 seconds, will continue switch the humax on first from standby and when the display is showing the channel tuned to will then switch on the tv. I know it,s not vital but was just wondering, thanks for the responses.

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 17:56:55 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.