My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

System Settings

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mariner

System settings only shows Power Saving options when a recording is in progress - the options for Factory Default, Software Update, Storage etc are missing. Once the recording has stopped/been cancelled these missing options all appear again.

Is this the expected behaviour?

| Wed 1 May 2013 16:11:18 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

adjusting system settings whilst it's recording would be like changing a tyre on a moving car.
    Yes, not only expected, but also sensible

| Wed 1 May 2013 16:27:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mariner

Indeed but how much better to have a design which either simply greys out the options in such a situation and provides a helpful message of explanation or leaves all the options in place and provides a message telling the user the facility is temporarily unavailable, if/when selected. This isn't rocket science nor is it difficult to program.

| Wed 1 May 2013 21:21:31 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

mariner - 52 minutes ago  » 
    Indeed but how much better to have a design which either simply greys out the options in such a situation and provides a helpful message of explanation or leaves all the options in place and provides a message telling the user the facility is temporarily unavailable, if/when selected. This isn't rocket science nor is it difficult to program.

From day 1 the entire GUI/EPG has been littered with obvious, stupid omissions like this. Most of them were highlighted on the Freesat forums, by early adopters, shortly after the box was shipped. They seem to have disappeared into the black hole that is the Freesat team.
    http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/free-time/bd-p/freetime

| Wed 1 May 2013 22:17:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

you've only got to look at mickysoft's windows to see that they're gradually dumbing down everything for the mass market. In windows things have been hidden from the user to such an extent now that with win8 there's even no start menu anymore.

Developers have to do what they're told even when they know it doesn't make sense. There's probably a focus group somewhere that thought greyed out options are more confusing than not having them in the first place, i.e more people would think their box has a fault or there's something wrong seeing greyed out options than when there's nothing at all to see.

It's debatable whether having greyed out or no options is a stupid omission; however the box certainly does have more pressing problems. It's frustrating though as I think we all know what an ideal box would look and feel like and we don't know why Humax can't produce it.

| Thu 2 May 2013 3:32:40 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

damian - 2 hours ago  » 
    ........... It's frustrating though as I think we all know what an ideal box would look and feel like and we don't know why Humax can't produce it.

I think that the UI design is built to freesat's specification.

| Thu 2 May 2013 6:14:50 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

"I think that the UI design is built to freesat's specification."

That's correct. Early on in the debate on the Freesat forum they referred to a "Director of UI". He might have been fired by now.

| Thu 2 May 2013 10:19:22 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mariner

Pollensa1946 - 5 hours ago  » 
    "I think that the UI design is built to freesat's specification."
    That's correct. Early on in the debate on the Freesat forum they referred to a "Director of UI". He might have been fired by now.

Together with the "Director of User Acceptance and Testing", I hope....!

| Thu 2 May 2013 15:37:33 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.