My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

T2 or 2000t

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

disolar

Thanks for your imput Faust.Yours and the other replies have convinced me to leave alone - shame really.

| Thu 1 Jun 2017 10:38:27 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

colirv

Late to the party, but I get tired of having to remember to switch the TV and the 2000T on in that order, and if I don't switch the Humax on quickly enough the TV won't recognise it and I have to switch them both off and start again. I can live with that, and have no reason to suppose that other makes are any better, but I couldn't recommend a 2000T.

| Thu 1 Jun 2017 12:17:50 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Faust puts it well. There was a trend for Humax to follow some other manufacturers into that price area. I wont mention names but maybe other manufacturers werent that good at prices even lower than the Humax. Ive seen slow operating systems and all a bit clunky.

In a way I cant blame Humax for trying to follow that trend is they did it well. However its not a price area that sits comfortably with PVRs and I should have been more cautious. Theres a fair bit in a PVR that needs to be designed well.

By the time you knock VAT, manufacturing and shipping off the price, the margins are slim and give you an idea what they are putting it together for.

Corners have been cut as even the economies of large scale manufacturing cant always cover these margins.

Obviously they consider it a price area that shifts units but just what is the consumer actually getting? I dont consider the 2OOOT acceptable and it must be noted that the first version had shielding over the hard drive and a fan...possibly mounting damping.I suspect thats the version people are mainly happy with

This seems to have all been stripped out in version 2. I can live with fan noise if the hard drive is quiet. What I got was no fan but a hard drive that I could hear from seven metres away. I did the work necessary with dampers and lid damping. Humax should have built that into production and not cut those corners.

I have learnt that boxes to a price are not necessarily a good idea. Quality costs and its not unreasonable to pay £100 more to get peace of mind and cover the margins needed for better design

Its not my fault. I went with the flow thinking Humax had factored in economies of scale. I thought it would be a clever buy and acceptable cost saving. It wasnt and a lesson has been learnt.

| Sun 11 Jun 2017 20:38:19 #13 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.