My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Thinking of buying Aura 1TB - watch Netflix?

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

gng

Hi,

This is a very basic question. I'm thinking of buying an Aura 1TB set top box to watch Freeview channels. I also have a subscription to Netflix and would like to access that via the box. I've seen various threads/online articles that say Netflix is not available on Aura.

As I understand, Aura comes with Android TV (based on Android 9?). Can you just not use the Netflix app or is that not available for that version of Android?

I guess the simple question is can you watch Netflix in some way?

Thanks!

| Fri 12 Jan 2024 22:06:44 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

gng - 1 hour ago  » 
    This is a very basic question. I'm thinking of buying an Aura 1TB set top box to watch Freeview channels. I also have a subscription to Netflix and would like to access that via the box. I've seen various threads/online articles that say Netflix is not available on Aura.
    As I understand, Aura comes with Android TV (based on Android 9?). Can you just not use the Netflix app or is that not available for that version of Android?
    I guess the simple question is can you watch Netflix in some way?

It was certainly an issue that caused a lot of debate early in the life of the Aura and some solutions were forthcoming; however I am not sure if they are still valid. Possibly due to the rather ancient version Of Android TV that the Aura uses. The threads will still be available on this forum. Is there anyone here who is using Netfix on an Aura?

| Fri 12 Jan 2024 23:36:13 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

TIM-SUE

Do not even consider the Aura box, look elsewhere.
    I have dumped mine and now have an EE TV pro, this seems so much more reliable,
    no more deep sleep etc,
    the only thing I do not like so far is there is no option for padding the recording setting, so far I have had no problem with programmes cut short.
    You can pick these boxes up for sale on-line at very competitive prices

| Sat 13 Jan 2024 13:58:19 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

TIM-SUE - 1 day ago  » 
    Do not even consider the Aura box, look elsewhere.
    I have dumped mine and now have an EE TV pro, this seems so much more reliable,
    no more deep sleep etc,
    the only thing I do not like so far is there is no option for padding the recording setting, so far I have had no problem with programmes cut short.
    You can pick these boxes up for sale on-line at very competitive prices

From what I have read so far, you need to subscribe to a TV package to get EE TV Pro, am I wrong?

Don't like the sound of this either:

"Skipping ITV adverts in Internet Mode

When you watch live and recorded ITV shows in internet mode you can no longer skip the adverts, just like the ITVX app. You’ll still be able to pause, fast forward and rewind ITV shows, but you won't be able to fast forward though the adverts. An ITVX Premium subscription is ad-free for on demand content, but it won't let you skip adverts on live TV or recordings.", plus can only record two channels at a time.

It says in aerial mode you can record up to four channels, but it does not say anything about skipping, so can you skip the adverts?

| Sun 14 Jan 2024 16:02:28 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

TIM-SUE

NO, You do not need to subscribe to use the EE Pro box. it works the same as the Aura, and you can record up to 4 channels at once,three if you are watching a recording. it has all the main free-to-view apps and the main subscription apps
    You only have to pay for the BT/EE subscription channels.And the box receives any software updates.

| Sun 14 Jan 2024 16:40:25 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

TIM-SUE - 10 mins ago  » 
    NO, You do not need to subscribe to use the EE Pro box. it works the same as the Aura, and you can record up to 4 channels at once,three if you are watching a recording. it has all the main free-to-view apps and the main subscription apps
    You only have to pay for the BT/EE subscription channels.And the box receives any software updates.

Interesting, I am very happy with my Aura and rarely have an issue with it, but the EE route could be a cheap option for the upstairs TV. You didn't mention if you can skip the adverts in aerial mode?

The only way I can see to get a box is from eBay for around £169.00. Can you add apps like Plex or YouTube as that would be a dealbreaker if not?

| Sun 14 Jan 2024 16:54:56 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

TIM-SUE

I do not know, I have never tried.

| Sun 14 Jan 2024 16:58:53 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

You don’t know about apps or you don’t know about skipping adverts?

| Sun 14 Jan 2024 17:00:06 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

Think I’ve found the answers to my questions, so EE TV Pro is very restrictive and does not have anywhere near the flexibility of the Aura so it’s a no no for me even as a secondary unit for the bedroom.

| Sun 14 Jan 2024 17:27:20 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB1

In answer to original question, no you can't use Netflix with an Aura. Some of the work arounds worked for a while, but all stopped. Now I just use a Google Chromecast plugged into spare HDMI port on TV and that works perfectly.

| Mon 15 Jan 2024 23:59:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.