My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

"This channel is unavailable or scrambled" ?

(43 posts)
  1. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

I received the message "This channel is unavailable or scrambled" last night trying to view a recording from that night on BBC 3 HD.

There are a few other reports too of similar problems on BBC 4 HD, and BBC 3/4 SD on the other forum.

I recorded something else on the same channel afterwards which worked fine.

Are the other reports coincidence or is this a problem with my box? I recently upgraded my HDD to 2TB if this makes any difference.

| Tue 20 May 2014 10:16:45 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Only ever seen this once many moons ago with an ITV HD recording, had to power cycle unit to enable playback of recording.

| Tue 20 May 2014 11:35:08 #2 |
  3. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

Tried a reboot a few times last night and no joy. Even the media list screenshot for the file is black.

Someone has suggested deleting the sidecar files, I'll try that tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

| Tue 20 May 2014 12:09:34 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Don't have BBC 4 HD in my area yet, but have set a few timers for BBC 3 HD.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

| Tue 20 May 2014 12:37:50 #4 |
  5. athomson

athomson

special member

I got that message about a BB3 HD recording. i tried a power cyle but that did not work. For me I just tunedto BBC3 HD, watched a few seconds then the recordings worked fine. Strange but it worked for me.

Andy

| Tue 20 May 2014 16:06:28 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wotan

We have two HDR Fox T2's. This has happened two or three times at random times over the last couple of months or so. It started after the update which stopped(for me)the failed recordings on the then newish BBC3HD & BBC4HD channels.'Scrambled' failures are always on BBC4 HD recordings (we tend not to watch BBC3) and not on any other channels. Boxes are on the latest standard firmware (i.e. not customised) and we are on the Crystal Palace transmitter.

Gerry

| Tue 20 May 2014 16:12:05 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Chris,
    I've had a 2TB disk in mine for a number of years now. The first ever bbc3HD and bbc4HD recordings I tried failed for me, all others since have worked flawlessly. There was nothing I could do or find to get the first recordings to play. Deleting the sidecar files was a different issue that the recent 1.03.12 update fixed.
    A friend who can get bbc3HD, but not bbc4HD, also had her first recording on bbc3HD fail, her box has a 500GB disk and all other bbc3HD since have been fine.

If this is the first time you've recorded bbc3HD, possibly since upgrading the drive as well, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you can get bbc4HD then you might find the first time you record bbc4HD it may fail and that would more or less prove that there's an issue. If you can get bbc4HD and you've not recorded bbc4HD before then I'd be tempted to make a test recording just to see rather than risk getting a scrambled message for the first recording.

I trust this makes sense. I've not bothered playing with my box just to see whether I can force a failed first recording again. If I'd just replaced the disk I might reformat it and test just out of interest. If the scrambled recording wasn't the first bbc3HD since upgrading the disk or update then you may have something else going on in which case let us know if it happens again and what it was.

| Tue 20 May 2014 22:44:52 #7 |
  8. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

Thanks Damian. Yes what you say does kind of make sense.

This was the first recording of bbc 3 hd on this new disc, all subsequent recordings have been fine. Tried bbc4 hd and that is fine too.

Deleting the sidecar files did not work as suspected - I then had a "cannot support this media" message - so it looks like my box just cannot decrypt this file.

Barry, I've got a copy of the recording and the sidecar files if it's of any use to humax.. It's about 3.5gb though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

| Tue 20 May 2014 23:45:24 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Well blow me after saying only seen this once I have similar problem tonight on BBC 3 HD recording - spoke to soon

Chris my file is smaller, only a 30 minute programme so will use that if required by engineers - will highlight to Humax Towers tomorrow.

| Wed 21 May 2014 0:10:14 #9 |
  10. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

Cheers Barry - I can at least rule out my box being faulty.

| Wed 21 May 2014 8:44:30 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.