My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Transfer old hard drive to another Humax?

(7 posts)
  1. Davy

Davy

special member

I have just fitted a new HD drive to my 1010s but have about 750gb tv and films etc on old drive that I can't access.
    Would this fit into another Humax I have that is working as a spare? I'm not at home right now so can't give model but it's one that can transfer recordings to USB etc.
    Model of other Humax is Foxsat HDR

| Sat 26 Sep 2015 23:00:39 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The drive can be used to either replace the Foxsat drive.
    Needs a jumper on Seagate left two pins, WD pins 5 and 6.

Can also be used in a powered caddy via USB.

| Sun 27 Sep 2015 7:34:27 #2 |
  3. Davy

Davy

special member

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 

I did try it in a caddy and know I can use it if I format it but will loose my old recordings.
    What I want to know is if I put it in the other Humax, will I be able to watch the recordings using that machine?

| Sun 27 Sep 2015 8:57:19 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Davy - 1 hour ago  » 
    What I want to know is if I put it in the other Humax, will I be able to watch the recordings using that machine?

Definitely not.

| Sun 27 Sep 2015 10:17:14 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Davy - 1 hour ago  » 

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 

I did try it in a caddy and know I can use it if I format it but will loose my old recordings.

Only the original box that recorded them will play them back as they are encrypted with a key unique to that box. HD recordings made on a Foxsat-hdr and copied to usb will play back on the Foxsat that made the original recording.

I did have my Foxsat Hard Disc mounted externally in a esata cradle connected to the internal hard drive. This allowed the recording disk to be swapped with the Foxsat off. This arrangement might allow you to watch your old recordings by substituting the original hard drive into the cradle.

| Sun 27 Sep 2015 10:22:36 #5 |
  6. Davy

Davy

special member

Tried similar to that but no luck. I swapped the hard drive over and unfortunately it kept saying to format disc which I reluctantly did. After about 5 mins or so it was ready and worked as it should with a clean 1tb hard drive. Did notice it was a lot slimmer than the original one.
    Was only 3 screws at the back to come off, them 4 for the caddy, and another 4 at the sides to release the drive.
    Had to watch I didn't break the wire for the fan so did it with that still connected.
    Recorded 2 programmes at same time and both worked ok.
    Put old one in caddy and will use that as a spare for backup etc.
    At least I tried but lost all the recordings but my 1010s has a brand new 2tb hard drive in it so I suppose it was worth it and old Foxsat has a newer one in it as well...
    Thanks for all the help here though, appreciated it.

| Sun 27 Sep 2015 11:47:07 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Davy - 51 minutes ago  » 
    Tried similar to that but no luck. I swapped the hard drive over and unfortunately it kept saying to format disc which I reluctantly did. After about 5 mins or so it was ready and worked as it should with a clean 1tb hard drive. Did notice it was a lot slimmer than the original one.
    Was only 3 screws at the back to come off, them 4 for the caddy, and another 4 at the sides to release the drive.
    Had to watch I didn't break the wire for the fan so did it with that still connected.
    Recorded 2 programmes at same time and both worked ok.
    Put old one in caddy and will use that as a spare for backup etc.
    At least I tried but lost all the recordings but my 1010s has a brand new 2tb hard drive in it so I suppose it was worth it and old Foxsat has a newer one in it as well...
    Thanks for all the help here though, appreciated it.

A usb connected caddy will never work. You need a esata cradle connected by esata cable to the box internal sata data connection. That way the box does not know the drive is actually mounted externally so it works the same way as if the drive was internal.

Example

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Docking-Station-3-5inch-Support/dp/B005UA3I72&tag=blusas008-21

| Sun 27 Sep 2015 12:41:21 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.