My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Transferring Files to PC using Samba

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

I would be extremely grateful if someone could explain to me how I can transfer files from the 4000t to my PC wirelessly using Samba.
    I am using windows 10.
    I have the server(s) set to on.
    I can see the Media Server and the Media Renderer from my PC.
    If I double click on the renderer its properties come up.
    If I double click on the server then Windows Media Player (v12) starts.
    I am able to transfer files using FTP.
    Do I need to install anything on my PC? (If so, what?)

Attachments

1. Devices.JPG (31.3 KB, 5 downloads) 7 years old
    | Sat 27 Aug 2016 14:02:14 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Your FVP4000 is not showing up as a file server, so samba will not work. It would show under the category "Computers" if samba were to work.
    There is a general problem with Win10 and samba where certain devices don't show up when you invoke the Network app. My QNAP409 NAS is such a device and I have struggled for months to solve this problem. MSoft have acknowledged and have a fix in the pipeline but it's a mystery as to when it will arrive.
    If you are reasonably expert on Win10 you could start here...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2131750e-d589-41f0-b6a3-1c7dac2361d9/cannot-connect-to-cifs-smb-samba-network-shares-shared-folders-in-windows-10-after-update?forum=win10itpronetworking

I have tried all the solutions offered and while some of them work they do not persist across a power-down and boot-up. So you may have to apply them repeatedly.

I would start with this one (the setting persists but the effect may not)...
    Right click Start
    Control Panel
    Programs and Features
    Turn Windows Features On or Off
    SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing should be ticked ON

Good luck!

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 14:38:45 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Try looking under My Computer, Network Locations, as per my FAQ

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 15:05:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Well thanks for the speedy replies.
    I tried this first
    Right click Start
    Control Panel
    Programs and Features
    Turn Windows Features On or Off
    SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing should be ticked ON

It was already on so I turned it off - restarted the PC - turned it back on and restarted again. Unfortunately no joy.

If I look at network locations then I can see the 4000t and when I open that up I get two folders, Channel and My Contents.
    Inside Channel are just listings of the TV/Radio channels.
    If I double click on one of the channels WMP starts but does not appear to be able to play any content.
    Inside My Contents I just see 'This folder is empty'.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 15:25:08 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

My Contents is the folder you want for recordings.

If empty, and I know you have already mentioned that these are on.

On the FVP restart the network server, ensure the file share options are on.

Last but not least and last for a reason, factory reset the unit, make of note of your recording schedule as you will have to re schedule.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 15:43:43 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Firstly thanks for the replies.
    I seem to have found a solution.
    From reading info from the link Pollensa1946 supplied I tried this:

Rename the server using all uppercase characters and restart the server.
    Back on the PC and My Contents Recordings is populated as I'd expect.

Hopefully this will help others.
    By the way, I used all caps and had no spaces in the server name. I don't know if that is relevant or not.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 15:54:40 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I'm glad it worked for you. Don't rush to a conclusion as many of the solutions work for one user but not another, or they do not persist thru a full power-down and re-boot. This is a real strange problem but MSoft say they have recognised the solution and it's in a future build. Meanwhile it's a show-stopper for me and many others on fully converting to Win10.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 16:26:36 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Pollensa1946 - 31 minutes ago  » 
    I'm glad it worked for you. Don't rush to a conclusion as many of the solutions work for one user but not another, or they do not persist thru a full power-down and re-boot. This is a real strange problem but MSoft say they have recognised the solution and it's in a future build. Meanwhile it's a show-stopper for me and many others on fully converting to Win10.

How annoying! It certainly works for me, now I need to find out how to play HD recordings on the PC.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 16:59:16 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

J_Oz - 8 minutes ago  » 

How annoying! It certainly works for me, now I need to find out how to play HD recordings on the PC.

I don't think you can as they are not decrypted during the copy process. Much the same as copy to usb HDD, they will only playback on the unit they were copied/moved off.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 17:09:56 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Barry - 11 minutes ago  » 

J_Oz - 8 minutes ago  » 

I don't think you can as they are not decrypted during the copy process. Much the same as copy to usb HDD, they will only playback on the unit they were copied/moved off.

OK thanks Barry.
    Whilst I'm here do you know if it's possible to view live TV from the PC. I'm thinking of the links in the Channels folder I mentioned earlier.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 17:23:52 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.