My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Transferring Files to PC using Samba

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

This thread spurred me into revisiting this problem fresh from the beginning.
    All device drivers up to date, BIOS at latest available level, all MSoft updates in place. Still my QNAP NAS and other devices missing from Network Discovery. Even some devices that were displayed when I clicked on them I got a "Could not connect to device" message. However, to my surprise, in that this had not worked prior to the latest MSoft updates, I typed the device name into the address field (example... \\QNAPNAS) and up popped the folders. I then mapped each folder on each device to a network drive and they now all consistently appear on the Win10 "This PC" page. So clearly Win10 can see them but does not report them on the Network page while correctly reporting them on the This PC page.

| Tue 30 Aug 2016 12:01:25 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Pollensa1946 - 14 minutes ago  » 
    This thread spurred me into revisiting this problem fresh from the beginning.
    All device drivers up to date, BIOS at latest available level, all MSoft updates in place. Still my QNAP NAS and other devices missing from Network Discovery. Even some devices that were displayed when I clicked on them I got a "Could not connect to device" message. However, to my surprise, in that this had not worked prior to the latest MSoft updates, I typed the device name into the address field (example... \\QNAPNAS) and up popped the folders. I then mapped each folder on each device to a network drive and they now all consistently appear on the Win10 "This PC" page. So clearly Win10 can see them but does not report them on the Network page while correctly reporting them on the This PC page.

Yes, I managed to map two folders on the FVP, Download and Recordings. I used \\192.168.0.xx\Download. I first tried using the server name rather than the address but that did not appear to work.

| Tue 30 Aug 2016 12:19:44 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Msoft seem to have delivered on fixing the Win10 Network app as since the updates of last week all my devices are now shown correctly on the Network page.

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 12:23:49 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Msoft seem to have delivered on fixing the Win10 Network app as since the updates of last week all my devices are now shown correctly on the Network page.

Hi, you have previously said that the device should show under 'computers' in the network section. Mine is still not doing that. Do you know which update to windows yours has had to enable this?

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 14:09:05 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

There was a batch of updates available Tuesday of last week. I simply allowed them all to install and it fixed the problem for me. The success of these Msoft updates has in the past varied depending on the hardware used for Win10 and the network device hardware. On this occasion I seem to have been lucky. With previous updates many users reported success while many others ( me included) reported failure. From post #11 you will see I did a fresh re-install of Win10 and then updated. Whether that influenced things I have no idea. On one of the forums the MSoft guy doing the coding admitted he did not have any legacy h/w to enable him to fully test. How good is that!

EDIT: I would power down entire network and re-boot everything and see if that improves things.

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 17:41:41 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

OK, I had a major update to windows 10 last night. It has not changed how my device is displayed in explorer i.e. FVP4000T is still not showing under computers. I can say that I am able to transfer files from the humax box to my laptop over wifi with the Samba server turned on (and the FTP server off). I am not a network expert but this appears to say that Samba is working.

| Tue 20 Sep 2016 7:35:15 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The fact that you can map the folders (post #12) and transfer files says that samba is working. The missing entry in the Network page is down to the vagaries of either the MSoft or device coding.
    I don't have a 4000 (and judging from the posts here I have intention of getting one, but that's for another thread) so cannot check this theory...
    One problem I did have was that I found one device not featuring on the Network app and discovered that it had the homegroup name set different to the other devices. Changed that device to the common name and up it popped on the Network. Win7 and Win10 will not report a device which has been designated in a different homegroup to the PC. I assume that the 4000 uses simple network protocols and does not register on a homegroup so this would not apply.

| Tue 20 Sep 2016 10:49:52 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.