My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Trying to run humaxrw on 9300T

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clair

I am trying to run humaxrw in recovery mode to transfer my recorded programs from my 9300 to an external hard drive as the programme list has disappeared. I've been following the instructions from this topic but have hit a problem before I've really begun.

I have downloaded humaxrw (but was unsure if I need to save it somewhere specific). Removed the lid from the humax and connected the data and power cables. Created a directory for humaxrwdir - initially I did this on my external hard drive but have also tried on the C:

But when I type cd humaxrwdir at the command prompt all I get is "The system cannot find the path specified". I'm obviously doing something wrong and have tried to find an answer on other topics to no avail. Hopefully someone will be able to help. Thanks very much.

| Sun 4 May 2014 16:59:08 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Clair - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have downloaded humaxrw (but was unsure if I need to save it somewhere specific).

The easiest thing to do is to put it in the directory you have created for the files from the Humax.

Created a directory for humaxrwdir - initially I did this on my external hard drive but have also tried on the C:
    But when I type cd humaxrwdir at the command prompt all I get is "The system cannot find the path specified".

If you have created the directory immediately below the root of the file system then that should work fine. How did you create the directory?

| Sun 4 May 2014 19:44:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clair

Thanks for getting back to me.

A Directory is just a folder, yes? I right-clicked and selected new folder.

The command prompt begins c:\windows\system32> - is that correct?

| Sun 4 May 2014 19:58:50 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Clair,

mickysoft dumbed down windows to make it seem easier; however it sometimes just adds to the confusion.
    A directory is called a folder in windows speak, the command 'cd' is short for Change Directory. Once you're at the command prompt you'll use the 'cd' command to move into different folders/directories. Once in a directory you can issue commands or start programs that are contained in that directory/folder

I'm assuming the 'cd humaxrwdir' actually means move the focus of the command prompt to the directory/folder where you've put/saved/copied the humaxrw program.
    If you've saved humaxrw into a new folder/directory called humax you would issue the command 'cd c:\humax' (without the apostrophes)
    If you've saved humaxrw into a new folder/directory called humax that you created in 'users\clair' then you'd issue the command 'cd c:\users\clair\humax'
    once in the directory where you saved humaxrw you can issue another command 'dir' which will list all the files in that directory and you should see your humaxrw program listed.

To use the program you'd issue the command 'humaxrw' and before you press enter/return you'd need to add some parameters, i.e. what you want the humaxrw program to do. It's years since I used humaxrw; however I believe
    humaxrw 1: -r -l
    will look at the first disk and list any humax files
    humaxrw 2: -r -l
    will look at the 2nd disk and list any humax files
    humaxrw 3: -r -l
    3rd disk etc.
    humaxrw 4: -r -l
    4th disk etc. and I wouldn't imagine you'd need to go much higher than 4 to find the disk with the humax files on it.

If you found files with
    humaxrw 2: -r -l
    then you'd issue the command
    humaxrw 2: -r -g 1-X
    where X is the number of files

I'd be inclined to test a couple of files first so something like
    humaxrw 2: -r -g 1-3
    should save the first one to three files

make sure you have enough space on the c: drive to save the files into. As with most things first time round can be daunting, if you get stuck let us know how far you got.

| Mon 5 May 2014 1:08:01 #4 |
  5. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

just to add to Damian's post if you are running humaxrw from an external drive you would first have to change to that drive before running it. If the drive letter in explorer is F then at your comand prompt you would type 'f:' without the quotes and the prompt should change to
    F:\>
    You can then follow the description above to run the program.

| Mon 5 May 2014 13:44:02 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Clair - 19 hours ago  » 
    A Directory is just a folder, yes?

Yes. I use various operating systems and they use different terminology for what is the same thing.

I right-clicked and selected new folder.
    The command prompt begins c:\windows\system32> - is that correct?

Do yourself a favour; delete that directory and make a new one immediacy below the root of the drive so that the command prompt starts c:\

| Mon 5 May 2014 15:33:58 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clair

Thank you Martin, Damian and aldaweb. With a combination of all your advice I have been able to do this successfully. Without finding this site I would've probably just reformatted the drive as I did with my old 9200 when this same problem happened with that model.

I've tried playing a couple of random programmes and they seem to play fine.

I assume the .epg file is the one that has the programme info on it. Is it possible to download software to read these files?

Thanks again for all your help. The advice from the forum has proved invaluable.

| Mon 5 May 2014 17:43:43 #7 |
  8. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

I use notepad2 to view epg files.
    http://notepad2.sourceforge.net/
    You have to scroll through some jibberish to see all the data, but the the synopsis is there.

| Mon 5 May 2014 17:48:31 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.