My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Turn off freesat and TV together

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mtec6463

Hi i have a Humax freest HDR 1000s i have connected this to a new Sony bravia smart tv and sound bar, when i turn on the free sat with Humax remote the the tv and sound bar power up (fantastic just what i want) problem is when i turn the free sat off the Tv and sound bar stay on. I want them all to go off when i turn off the free sat. All connected via HDMI. I have set this up for my 85 year old motherin law so she just wants to turn on and turn off everything with one click all controlled by the free sat. Is this possible and how do i achieve this. Any help please.

| Sat 24 Aug 2019 23:56:57 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

WElcome to our forum

It's down to the way that different makes of kit implement CEC which is the system that is used to control kit interconnected by HDMI. The Sony CEC implemention Bravia sync has some inconsistencies in the way CEC is implemented with CEC on the Humax box.

I doubt you will be able to fix this. You can however do this using a logitech harmony remote.

Briefly you connect the remote to a PC and login to the Harmony site and add all the devices you want to control.

In your case the TV, Soundbar and Humax box.

You then create a activity say Called Watch Freesat. Pressing the watch Freesat button turns on the Humax PVR TV and Soundbar, selects the HDMI port on the TV the Humax uses. When you turn stop using this activity or switch to another activity the remote turns off any kit the new activity no longer required.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 9:50:55 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mtec6463

Hi and many thanks for the speedy reply. I find this somewhat confusing as i can turn on all the equipment with the freesat remote but you cannot turn it all off . Seems very strange . Just looking at the logitech remotes you suggested and they are v expensive especially as i only want to turn on/off all the equipment. I think for now i will tell her to turn on with the freesat as that works and then turn off using the sony remote as that turns all the gear off.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 11:17:27 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

mtec6463 - Perhaps you should try another remote code for the TV.
    It should do it.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 12:16:16 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mtec6463

Sorry Repassac, i did not use any code . i am just using the Humax remote that came with the unit and not a universal remote, Can you clarify what you mean by try a code as i have not put any code in and didn't know you could.
    Any advice is more than welcome

| Mon 26 Aug 2019 11:04:01 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I am assuming you have the Humax remote with buttons on the top row STB, TV and ON/OFF. I remember early HDR-1000S models were issued with another remote, If you have one then I suggest replacing it with one for a HDR-1100S (will ensure you get the new remote.

In my normal use I have the Humax remote set to STB, to turn both off, I press ON/OFF then TV ON/OFF.

To set up the TV read this FAQ.

| Mon 26 Aug 2019 16:28:35 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

mtec6463

Hi thanks for the reply. tried ur suggestion and can now turn on freesat, tv and sound bar ok with the humax remote . still have to use the sony remote to turn everything off but thats not a major problem. When i set the freest box to multi channel in the audio prefs the sound seems better through my sony sound bar but i loose the ability to control the volume using the Humax remote any idea of how i can control the volume with this setting engaged? if i switch to stereo then i can use the Humax remote to control volume no problem but then it seems like I'm loosing quality of audio. My setup is sony bravia smart tv sony sound bar and humax freest box HDR 1000s.

| Thu 29 Aug 2019 23:33:48 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mtec6463 - 13 hours ago  » 
    Hi thanks for the reply. tried ur suggestion and can now turn on freesat, tv and sound bar ok with the humax remote . still have to use the sony remote to turn everything off but thats not a major problem. When i set the freest box to multi channel in the audio prefs the sound seems better through my sony sound bar but i loose the ability to control the volume using the Humax remote any idea of how i can control the volume with this setting engaged? if i switch to stereo then i can use the Humax remote to control volume no problem but then it seems like I'm loosing quality of audio. My setup is sony bravia smart tv sony sound bar and humax freest box HDR 1000s.

Because the audio on HD channels is Dolby Digital which has the volume level encoded in the digital audio data screen, the only way to vary it is after the audio is decoded (in this case by your sound bar). Switching to the stereo option for the digital audio out causes the box to recode Dolby Digital to Mpeg1 layer 2 (aka mp2). .mp2 can be volume controlled at source which is why the box volume control then works. This option is required for those TV's with no Dolby Digital de-coding capability.

Using somthing like a Logitech Harmony programmeable remote you can assign volume control to your sound bar while retaining the other box controls like guide recordings etc on the single remote.

You are correct Dolby Digital audio in addition to offering 5.1 audio when transmitted has a wider dynamic range than .mp2 which is pretty obvious if you have speakers capable of the full range transmitted. It's still not as good as the audio you can get from the so called lossless formats on a blu-ray disk. eg Dolby True HD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD

| Fri 30 Aug 2019 13:17:49 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mtec6463

Thanks for the prompt reply. Im sure a 2019 sony Bravia smart tv will have the Dolby digital decoding capability. Also I'm sure i did have it set to multi channel and it worked although when going thru stuff i must have pressed something and that stopped working. I have the sound bar connected via HDMI going into the Arc socket on the tv and also optical from the tv to the sound bar. do you think this could be a problem? seems weird when i unplug the optical connection i loose all sound even though its still connected via HDMI. This as i stated in my original post if for my inlaw's who are both in there 80's and a bit hard of hearing. I chose the bravia and the sony sound bar to give them a better sound but i wanted to just use the freest remote to turn on all the gear and give better sound. seems like I've opened a can of worms.

| Fri 30 Aug 2019 17:59:40 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mtec6463 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Im sure a 2019 sony Bravia smart tv will have the Dolby digital decoding capability. Also I'm sure i did have it set to multi channel and it worked although when going thru stuff i must have pressed something and that stopped working. I have the sound bar connected via HDMI going into the Arc socket on the tv and also optical from the tv to the sound bar. do you think this could be a problem? seems weird when i unplug the optical connection i loose all sound even though its still connected via HDMI. This as i stated in my original post if for my inlaw's who are both in there 80's and a bit hard of hearing. I chose the bravia and the sony sound bar to give them a better sound but i wanted to just use the freest remote to turn on all the gear and give better sound. seems like I've opened a can of worms.

Some TV's cannot pass Dolby Digital input to a HDMI socket and output it from the single HDMI socket that is ARC capable which I imagine your sound bar requires. Some soundbars can use bluetooth for the audio. Seems that your TV may be one.

| Fri 30 Aug 2019 20:01:32 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.