My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

TV Guide data update daily annoyance

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

51mon

I have the Humax HB-1000S. Once a day it updates the TV Guide data on opening the TV Guide. During the update the TV Guide picture-in-picture feature stops working for several minutes and if you are using the pause/rewind live TV feature with a connected hard drive, this will stop working too.

Is this normal? I read somewhere that this is only meant to happen on first startup and not every day. I power the unit off every night and switch it back on in the morning. I haven't tried leaving the unit on stand-by but I will try that tonight.

If this behaviour is normal, isn't there a way for the TV Guide data to be updated in the background instead of when you open the TV Guide? Couldn't a software update solve this issue?

Thanks!

| Sun 26 Apr 2020 13:23:49 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's because the unit has only one tuner. Set a power on timer BBC1-HD at 0800, Volume 10 and a power off at 08:15. The HD BBC Transponder carries the whole epg in a round robin of data along with the broadcasts. The 15 mins should be long enough to populate the complete epg.

| Sun 26 Apr 2020 15:53:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

51mon

Ahhh right, I will try that tonight, thanks for that info! I wish I'd asked this question earlier, this has been bugging me for nearly 5 years now

| Sun 26 Apr 2020 18:04:59 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The behaviour you describe is normal if the box is fully powered off, rather than left in s/by. The power on/off timer will of course only work if the box is always left in s/by.

| Mon 27 Apr 2020 17:15:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

51mon

Yes, thank you. I tried it last night but it might not work today as I believe the EPG had already been updated at some point yesterday daytime but I'm hoping it will work from tomorrow onward. Thanks!

| Mon 27 Apr 2020 17:20:40 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

51mon - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yes, thank you. I tried it last night but it might not work today as I believe the EPG had already been updated at some point yesterday daytime but I'm hoping it will work from tomorrow onward. Thanks!

Given the experience we have with the twin tuner box. It's thought the cached version of the epg in Non Volatile RAM is cleared for some reason during overnight housekeeping.

The daily timer simply re-populates the cached epg. Which is displayed very quickly.

In general any Humax box is designed to work properly by it being left in low power sby overnight. They all use a tiny amount of power in full low power sby. Less than 0.5W on the newer boxes. A Sky-box uses way more than this.

One reason is the lnb has to be powered 24/7.

| Mon 27 Apr 2020 18:48:42 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

51mon

Great, thank you for your help. It appears to have worked

| Tue 28 Apr 2020 12:18:11 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

51mon

Update:

Just thought I had better update this thread. The issue was resolved by simply leaving the unit on standby overnight instead of disconnecting it from the power supply every night. The auto power on/power off feature wasn't needed after all.

Thanks again for your help.

| Fri 8 May 2020 19:57:30 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.