My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Tv reception massively variable - baffled, me

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

alan997

A few evenings ago, turned on the telly to find the picture stuttering and breaking up badly. An hour or two later, it was gone. 'No or bad signal' messages on every channel.

Next day, it was back to normal. Until the evening. When it started breaking up badly, then died altogether.

Which established a pattern. It's now like this every day. Today I actually took some pictures.

Between 2 & 6pm today, the signals from two of our local transmitters went from this:

To this:

Googling throws up loads of suggestions along the lines of checking cables & connections, which I've done, but it makes no difference - no great surprise there, since if it was something along those lines, you'd expect it to be consistent all the time.

Or it could be interference from a street light - but the break up starts before the street lights come on.

Or it could be interference from a microwave oven, LED lighting or something along those lines - but we've changed nothing in the house.

And every night it's the same: fine at lunchtime; dead by dinnertime. (Though even stranger, it sometimes comes back, partially or fully, at certain times in the evening. Last weekend's MoTD, eg, was flawless.)

It's driving me nuts (and no-one else in the house is exactly hooraying about it).

Any ideas gratefully received.

Attachments

1. 6pm_2.jpg (18.2 KB, 3 downloads) 9 years old
    2. 6pm_1.jpg (18.9 KB, 0 downloads) 9 years old
    3. 2pm_2.jpg (26.7 KB, 0 downloads) 9 years old
    4. 2pm1.jpg (27.1 KB, 0 downloads) 9 years old
    | Wed 4 Feb 2015 19:14:13 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Do you have any sort of amplifier in the aerial cabling?

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 23:21:50 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

googling will bring up or sorts of wierd stuff, if it's the same from two transmitters then it has to be local environment. microwaves would be intermittent, cordless dect phones would be constant, weekdays would suggest business/industrial, it does look residential though. The drop in levels would suggest something else being plugged into the aerial connection before it reaches the humax. Does your TV have a freeview tuner and if so what are its levels compared to the humax?

Further to Martin's question, does the aerial go directly to the TV/pvr or does it split off anywhere?

Are you absolutely sure nothing has changed in the household?

If it were mine, detective work I'm afraid, I'd be tempted to physically move the humax as far as the cables will go next time it happens, although I wouldn't expect it to make any difference. Does it coincide with the central heating or fire you only use at this time of year, i.e. humax getting too warm or aerial cable/connection too close to pipes/chimney somewhere. I'd take a note of which wifi ID's were available normally and check again later to see if the addition of any particular wifi coincides. If you can't think of anything within the house that's cyclic and coincides then be a nosey'ish neighbour - are any neighbour's not around when it doesn't happen.

Unless you can put your finger on something then I imagine it will take a while to figure out, there will be a logical explanation. Proof of the pudding would be if you could swap the box with someone else or borrow a box short term. Let us know how you get on.

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 1:35:27 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.