My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Unacceptable Hard Drive Noise From HDR 2000T?

(50 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 days ago  » 

Johnh510 - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for that - I'll find out if I have enough signal strength...
    £1.49 is worth a try.

If you don't, you must have a signal level very close to the digital cliff. Don't forget to turn power saving in sby back on. You might as well save some money

I have to confess Graham that since some of the channels have moved to COM 7 and 8 I have had to revert to pass-through for my Youview entertainment. Earlier in the week COM 7 and 8 kept dropping out momentarily e.g 60% S & Q then 0% quick as a flash. Today they are now a steady 90% S and 100% Q. Never had it before but I'm finding these two frequencies are very weather dependant, not actually wet or dry etc. but more High and Low pressure.

Using the splitter just tipped things over the 'digital cliff'. I noticed a number of people posting on 'down detector' about the same issue.

| Fri 13 Apr 2018 13:50:43 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The weather dependence is no doubt due to adjacent transmissions now using the same frequencies for COM 7 and COM 8. High Pressure uplift conditions would seem to be pushing you into the so called mush zone where the multi transmitter reception knocks out your reception.

You must be really close to the edge, the loop amplifier doesn't have much gain.

A low noise adjustable gain masthead amp by the aerial where it doesn't amplify noise picked up in the coax download is likely to be a better option.

| Fri 13 Apr 2018 13:59:55 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 9 minutes ago  » 
    The weather dependence is no doubt due to adjacent transmissions now using the same frequencies for COM 7 and COM 8. High Pressure uplift conditions would seem to be pushing you into the so called mush zone where the multi transmitter reception knocks out your reception.
    You must be really close to the edge, the loop amplifier doesn't have much gain.
    A low noise adjustable gain masthead amp by the aerial where it doesn't amplify noise picked up in the coax download is likely to be a better option.

Probably not worth the effort for the time Freeview will be using these two frequencies. As you know we can use Fenton or Sutton Coldfield, though Fenton is just repeating the SC signal albeit V instead of H.

We don't have any channels in the 800s though. I have noticed however when doing a retune the TV will still attempt to pick up muxes in the 20s numbers (Fenton) though drops them again.

| Fri 13 Apr 2018 14:13:53 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Johnh510

I was in Screwfix this morning and got the metal "Labgear" splitter, mentioned way up the thread by Graham.

It seemed like a plan, but the gender of the connectors for in/out/out is m/f/f, which is exactly the opposite of what seems to be needed for a direct plug and go: f/m/m.
    Even ignoring the paths through the splitter - which probably isn't the best idea - I still end up with two female connectors looking at one another: splitter out to lead to TV.

It seems the splitter wasn't intended to be used around the back of a Humax.

I will probably end up with a pair of short male/male leads, and a female "barrel" to connect it all together as per the in/out labels (as I can't find a screened splitter with the right gender connectors online), but it's a shame to have so many joints especially as the aerial lead is one piece from the loft to the back of the first pvr.

Found a metal cased one, according to Amazon/Solent cables £1.77

Will post back in a few days

| Sat 21 Apr 2018 13:32:37 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Johnh510 - 59 minutes ago  » 
    I was in Screwfix this morning and got the metal "Labgear" splitter, mentioned way up the thread by Graham.
    It seemed like a plan, but the gender of the connectors for in/out/out is m/f/f, which is exactly the opposite of what seems to be needed for a direct plug and go: f/m/m.
    Even ignoring the paths through the splitter - which probably isn't the best idea - I still end up with two female connectors looking at one another: splitter out to lead to TV.

It seems the splitter wasn't intended to be used around the back of a Humax.
    I will probably end up with a pair of short male/male leads, and a female "barrel" to connect it all together as per the in/out labels (as I can't find a screened splitter with the right gender connectors online), but it's a shame to have so many joints especially as the aerial lead is one piece from the loft to the back of the first pvr.

Found a metal cased one, according to Amazon/Solent cables £1.77
    Will post back in a few days

Should be the right way round - One Female input and two Male outputs.

The inputs on most boxes are male for the inputs and female for the outputs. The aerial cable should connect to the input and the existing patch lead should connect one splitter output to the Humax in socket and a second to connect the TV. Patch leads have a male at one end and a female at the other end. The two females connect to the two outputs of the splitter with the other ends going to the TV and Humax in sockets.

A simple coupler will change the gender.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-plastic-coax-couplers-pack-of-10/26904#_=p

Are you mixing up the one input with one of the outputs ?

Looking at the picture the input would appear to be the right hand one which you can't see the gender of.

| Sat 21 Apr 2018 14:37:18 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Johnh510

The offering from Screwfix says "Labgear 19132R/S [17W35]" on the bag.

I'll try and get the pictures that failed to upload just to a suitable size for this site...

Here we go: in is male on this splitter, out both female.

I'm sure the one you got is correct, but that's not what they are selling now:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-19132r-s-2-way-metal-t-splitter/44534

Attachments

1. splitter_edge.jpg (60.5 KB, 7 downloads) 5 years old
    2. splitter_face.jpg (78.4 KB, 10 downloads) 5 years old
    | Sun 22 Apr 2018 6:56:45 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Johnh510

Update:

The £1.77 splitter has the correct gender to fit properly.

The signal strength on the Humax is down about 4 points on the stuff which was 80-81 before (the main 6 mux). Com7/8 have fallen over the cliff, so to speak.

The oddest thing about the "correct" gender splitter is that the label is virtually identical to the one from Screwfix, give or take the frequency range, and "CE".
    Compare attached with the face view above.

Attachments

1. splitter2_face.jpg (78.9 KB, 0 downloads) 5 years old
    | Fri 27 Apr 2018 9:11:38 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes I have a couple of those metal bodied splitters which seem way more solid than the plastic bodied versions.

I dont think im using them for the tv at the moment but Its interesting that we are employing these splitters for a loop through issue that Humax should have sorted with the build.

They do lower the signal strength and they are not ideal in any line feed. I solely use the Humax tuner at the moment and hope that when I get my new hd telly the Humax on standby will feed the signal through...I havent checked lately but it probably doesnt

| Fri 27 Apr 2018 23:55:27 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 8 hours ago  » 
    Yes I have a couple of those metal bodied splitters which seem way more solid than the plastic bodied versions.
    I dont think im using them for the tv at the moment but Its interesting that we are employing these splitters for a loop through issue that Humax should have sorted with the build.
    They do lower the signal strength and they are not ideal in any line feed. I solely use the Humax tuner at the moment and hope that when I get my new hd telly the Humax on standby will feed the signal through...I havent checked lately but it probably doesnt

Read the expert on all things aerials, spliiters and amplifiers.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html#Splitters

| Sat 28 Apr 2018 8:06:17 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Johnh510 - 22 hours ago  » 
    Update:
    The £1.77 splitter has the correct gender to fit properly.
    The signal strength on the Humax is down about 4 points on the stuff which was 80-81 before (the main 6 mux). Com7/8 have fallen over the cliff, so to speak.
    The oddest thing about the "correct" gender splitter is that the label is virtually identical to the one from Screwfix, give or take the frequency range, and "CE".
    Compare attached with the face view above.

If your COM7/8 is within 4dB of falling over the cliff even without the splitter it's likely to be unreliable. What aerial are you using ?

I only use f connector splitters, trouble is recommending these posters incorrectly think f connectors are solely for satellite use.

| Sat 28 Apr 2018 8:13:16 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.