My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Unacceptable Hard Drive Noise From HDR 2000T?

(50 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Faust - 12 minutes ago  »  What is going to happen in 2020/21 with these muxes?

Probably nothing. The point of Aqiva suggesting and agreeing to move them to 55 and 56 was to extend their life past 2020/21. The space will be released for the mobile usage either if it transpires that they are interfering with the mobile usage, or the mobile operators are ready to use the space. That is unlikely to be before 2022.

| Sun 29 Apr 2018 19:15:21 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Luke - 3 hours ago  » 

Probably nothing. The point of Aqiva suggesting and agreeing to move them to 55 and 56 was to extend their life past 2020/21. The space will be released for the mobile usage either if it transpires that they are interfering with the mobile usage, or the mobile operators are ready to use the space. That is unlikely to be before 2022.

According to Ofcom's latest report they are now saying that 700 mhz will be cleared by 2020 and that mobile will start to use the frequency from Q2 in 2020. I had heard something along those lines on BBC business a couple of months back now.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/106933/700mhz-clearance-timescale-review.pdf

I have also read a report from Vodafone that states when the frequencies are clear it's likely going forward that for a number of channels it won't be economical to use DTT but will instead use alternative methods of broadcast.

| Sun 29 Apr 2018 22:47:08 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Faust - 10 hours ago  » 

Luke - 3 hours ago  » 

According to Ofcom's latest report they are now saying that 700 mhz will be cleared by 2020 and that mobile will start to use the frequency from Q2 in 2020. I had heard something along those lines on BBC business a couple of months back now.
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/106933/700mhz-clearance-timescale-review.pdf
    I have also read a report from Vodafone that states when the frequencies are clear it's likely going forward that for a number of channels it won't be economical to use DTT but will instead use alternative methods of broadcast.

See the reference to note 3 in that document. And from note 3's link see sections 1.20 to 1.25.

The 'clearance' being reported on is as per note 3's referred document.

Arqiva have stated that they do not believe that 2020 is likely for the stated criteria for the interim muxes to cease broadcasting on 55 and 56.

| Mon 30 Apr 2018 9:10:18 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Luke - 2 hours ago  » 

Faust - 10 hours ago  » 

Luke - 3 hours ago  » 

See the reference to note 3 in that document. And from note 3's link see sections 1.20 to 1.25.
    The 'clearance' being reported on is as per note 3's referred document.
    Arqiva have stated that they do not believe that 2020 is likely for the stated criteria for the interim muxes to cease broadcasting on 55 and 56.

And if as suggested the government, Ofcom and the mobile operators get their way and the 700 Mhz frequency is cleared by Q2 2020 where will the current channels move to?

I have read Arqiva's pleadings but that document precedes Ofcom's December 2017 update. Besides, the sooner we get off those frequencies the better. The move has left thousands upon thousands of viewers with no signal as their aerials are now out of band. A significant number of those who can receive the moved channels can only do so if 'the weather is the right sort' (I include myself in this group).

Digital UK's estimate for those affected appears to be wildly inaccurate.

| Mon 30 Apr 2018 11:18:31 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have read Arqiva's pleadings but that document precedes Ofcom's December 2017 update.

Of course that document linked to in note 3 precedes Ofcom's December 2017 update. The Ofcom December 2017 document gives an update on the progress of the plan outlined in that earlier document.
    Normally you have a plan and then you report progress, and this is no exception.

| Mon 30 Apr 2018 13:01:29 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have read Arqiva's pleadings but that document precedes Ofcom's December 2017 update.

Of course that document linked to in note 3 precedes Ofcom's December 2017 update. The Ofcom December 2017 document gives an update on the progress of the plan outlined in that earlier document.
    Normally you have a plan and then you report progress, and this is no exception.

Which brings us full circle then i.e. Ofcom states we remain on target to clear the 700 MHz frequency by Q2 2020.

I'm assuming, given I have asked you three times now what will happen to those networks on channels 55 & 56 when 700 MHz is cleared that you don't know the answer?

| Mon 30 Apr 2018 14:59:19 #36 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Unless a decision is made to convert one or more existing SD mux to the more efficient DVB-T2 and/or SD channel compression changes to a more efficient encoding system, say from existing mpeg2 to H264/AVC, then they will not be available on Freeview.

| Mon 30 Apr 2018 15:29:25 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 37 minutes ago  » 
    Unless a decision is made to convert one or more existing SD mux to the more efficient DVB-T2 and/or SD channel compression changes to a more efficient encoding system, say from existing mpeg2 to H264/AVC, then they will not be available on Freeview.

Which I suppose chimes to the Vodafone report I was reading which says that a number of more minor Freeview channels may well look at other ways of delivering their content when 700 MHz is cleared.

What about the larger channels such as BBC News 24 and BBC Four etc. I thought they were going onto a SNF which hopefully will then be ramped up to full power?

| Mon 30 Apr 2018 16:11:24 #38 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 19 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 37 minutes ago  » 

Which I suppose chimes to the Vodafone report I was reading which says that a number of more minor Freeview channels may well look at other ways of delivering their content when 700 MHz is cleared.
    What about the larger channels such as BBC News 24 and BBC Four etc. I thought they were going onto a SNF which hopefully will then be ramped up to full power?

The guard interval required on a SFN reduces the mux capacity.

| Mon 30 Apr 2018 16:31:51 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

I havent got channel 55 at the moment...no signal strength at all on DVB T2 and its been like that for a couple of weeks.

I got everything fine after the last major retune but since then somethings been going on.

I sense there is more going on here than the aerial of the landlords amplification system. I think there are transmitter issues as they sort all these changes.

How come I can get it perfectly for a week or so and then it disappears?

| Mon 30 Apr 2018 16:32:23 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.