My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Unaccountable & Excess Internet Usage

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Roger.Packer

I have been using my HDR 1000S 500MB for some 6 weeks only to be informed by my Internet Service Provider (Plusnet) that I was about to blow my Internet Broadband Usage Allowance. I find that with the HDR box connected to the net, my internet usage increases by some 500MByte daily (ie 15 GBytes per month). In this time I have only used on-demand TV once. I contacted Humax, who had little idea of how to fix it, so replaced the box. The new box is no better and still consumes about 500MBytes daily.

Can anyone account for this excess usage and suggest how to stop it, without unplugging the box from the net?

| Wed 26 Dec 2012 17:27:57 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum. This is a known issue, freesat deliver around 40MB of data to the box every hour it's on.

There's a thread about this on DS.

It's not really a Humax or a box issue, it's down to the way freetime have chosen to constantly refresh the vod epg and the Showtime feature.

Until they sort it out I have chosen to unplug the network cable until I wan't to actually use it.

| Wed 26 Dec 2012 17:40:45 #2 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Rather than fiddle with the actual cable can you change the settings to an invalid IP address (say) to break the connection?

| Wed 26 Dec 2012 17:43:32 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Rather than fiddle with the actual cable can you change the settings to an invalid IP address (say) to break the connection?

To set manual settings you have to disconnect from the router anyway. It's dead simple for me because the box is connected by a very accessible network switch.

Whether you can block this based on the box Mac address not sure.

Repassac is the man for all things LAN based

| Wed 26 Dec 2012 18:00:10 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Roger.Packer

Thanks guys for all your comments. I guess for the time being, I should disconnect the Humax box from the internet, by unplugging the ethernet cable from the router. My router is v close to the router, so unplugging is an easy option, but I will explore manual setting in the Humax box and the router.

| Wed 26 Dec 2012 20:54:48 #5 |
  6. chistery

chistery

I would think setting the IP manually wouldn't help as it'll be such a faff to set it back when you want to use it.

You might be able to set up Internet restrictions on your router if it allows it (may be called Parental control), to only allow internet access at certain times, or not at all for particular MACs. Then you can just use your routers GUI to allow it if you ever need it.

| Wed 26 Dec 2012 21:16:04 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

christy, thats is what I would do if I had a metered connection. Allow it partial access at the start of your viewing time - so you know what is available on catchup.

| Thu 27 Dec 2012 8:20:59 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gr4z

If you have a BT homehub (or a lot of other routers) you can restrict certain devices to use the internet only at certain times (I use it to restrict my childrens access). I suggest you put a restriction on the device overnight or during the day. That way its automatic and does not rely on you doing it

| Thu 27 Dec 2012 12:23:47 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Gr4z - Not much point in doing it overnight - It will not be active when in standby.

| Thu 27 Dec 2012 12:28:53 #9 |
  10. chistery

chistery

Not sure if this is related or not, but yesterday I put in one of those extension leads that powers everything off when the TV is turned off, except for the PVR.

This morning I turned on the Humax and TV and for a few mins the remote to the Humax was not working, everything was frozen. Then it all returned to normal. I wonder if this was to do with the switch the box connects to needing to boot up and then taking time to connect to the internet, causing it to freeze.

I'll see if it does it again tomorrow morning. It didn't do it when I came home tonight.

| Thu 27 Dec 2012 18:34:11 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.