My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Unsupported file format notice

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

desi2482

Hi all
    Quite often I am unable to replay any recordings on my 1100s when a notice saying "Unsupported file format" appears on screen.I have found that to overcome this I have to turn off the machine for a few minutes,then I can watch recordings OK.Can anyone tell me what causes this problem and what is an unsupported file format?
    Regards
    desi2482

| Tue 17 Jan 2017 9:57:09 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mrs B

Hi Desi2482,

Did you get anywhere with a solution to this problem?

It's recently started with our 1100S which has been doing a few odd things (more frequently too) for over a month.

Hope you can give us some advice

Thanks

| Tue 22 Aug 2017 7:17:43 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I have seen this problem on My HDR-1000S perhaps three times in as many years.

No idea what causes it but I always wait until I can dismiss the mini menu before I try and look at recordings as I believe some start-up process's are not complete until then.

| Tue 22 Aug 2017 15:26:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mrs B

Hi REPASSAC,
    Thanks for your response. Having been unplugged all day, this evening it's got worse. Its been conking out when playing back, you can't resume, you have to start at the beginning and FF to where it stopped. Four times in an hour long programme. Then on fifth restart of playback it would not play. Flashes back to the menu. Then eventually the file format error. Did eventually get it going again, having turned it off at the wall. John Lewis (there's about six weeks left on warranty) say do a factory reset and check the clock's in the correct time zone when reinitialising - but I'll lose everything. I have no doubt it's in, and always has been, in the correct time zone! Do you think I stand any chance of getting programmes off and on to an external unit before doing something so drastic. Any guidance you can offer will be gratefully received. Thanks

| Tue 22 Aug 2017 21:10:50 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mrs B - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Hi REPASSAC,
    Thanks for your response. Having been unplugged all day, this evening it's got worse. Its been conking out when playing back, you can't resume, you have to start at the beginning and FF to where it stopped. Four times in an hour long programme. Then on fifth restart of playback it would not play. Flashes back to the menu. Then eventually the file format error. Did eventually get it going again, having turned it off at the wall. John Lewis (there's about six weeks left on warranty) say do a factory reset and check the clock's in the correct time zone when reinitialising - but I'll lose everything. I have no doubt it's in, and always has been, in the correct time zone! Do you think I stand any chance of getting programmes off and on to an external unit before doing something so drastic. Any guidance you can offer will be gratefully received. Thanks

A factory reset will not lose your existing recordings (only a hard disk format will do that). You will lose your recording schedule (take digital photos of your recording schedule) and any changes you may have made to default settings. eg Box volume, auto power off etc.

If that fails a possible long shot is to reflash the firmware using a usb stick.

Post again if you need to try this out.

Sadly there is no known way of preserving the recordings other than recording then in real time from the box analogue outputs (as you can't play them back clearly not an option). Symptoms do seem to indicate a major problem with the hard disk.

| Tue 22 Aug 2017 21:20:06 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Symptoms do seem to indicate a major problem with the hard disk.

I agree; I suggest Mrs B carries out the reset ASAP and assuming it doesn't fix the problem chases John Lewis hard to get the problem resolved

| Tue 22 Aug 2017 21:45:19 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mrs B

Thank you Martin and Graham, weve done the factory reset. And you're quite right, we didn't lose our recordings! Interestingly the most recent recording now shows as being a short record - whereas it didn't before. Only time will tell now... Do you have any views on doing a disk cleanup (which I think of as being a de-frag). It would certainly give the hard disk a good test! Thank you again for your expert help.

| Tue 22 Aug 2017 22:48:42 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Yet another example of why modern PVRs are not a good long term solution for archiving 'cherished recordings'.

It just seems ridiculous that VCRs, DVDRs and PVRs from not that long ago provided a simple solution for keeping all your favourite films, programmes etc.

Now with the modern PVR, recordings are tied to the machine they were recorded on, so when the machine dies the archived material dies with them.

The only exception being that with some machines you can copy programmes recorded in SD to external media which can then be played elsewhere.

Welcome to the future.

| Tue 22 Aug 2017 22:54:31 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Mrs B - 1 hour ago  » 
    Do you have any views on doing a disk cleanup (which I think of as being a de-frag).

I am not clear exactly what the disk cleanup does (it is unlikely to be a defrag as the Linux file systems tend not to be significantly affected by fragmentation) but it is worth trying.

| Wed 23 Aug 2017 0:28:33 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mrs B - 10 hours ago  » 
    Thank you Martin and Graham, weve done the factory reset. And you're quite right, we didn't lose our recordings! Interestingly the most recent recording now shows as being a short record - whereas it didn't before. Only time will tell now... Do you have any views on doing a disk cleanup (which I think of as being a de-frag). It would certainly give the hard disk a good test! Thank you again for your expert help.

Tried the disk clean up a few times when my box was new. TBH it didn't seem to make any difference and certainly didn't make any difference to the space available for recording. The Linux operating system used on these boxes is said to not need de-fragging like the Windows operating system drives.

By all means give it a try, it didn't have any undesired effects either.

PS Martin types faster than I do

| Wed 23 Aug 2017 9:35:54 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.