My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Upgrade from data uploaded U7.51

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jakebstewart

I have an old Humax Foxsat Hdr, must be 10 years old. Recently I found a problem withe the autotune get not working. After contacting Humax support I searched the Web to find there is an upgrade however I need to upgrade my existing data loader to U7.54 for new firmware to be used. Does anyone know if this upgrade is possible with my current configuration, which is
    Software version HPRSFCL 1.00.21©
    Loader version U 7.51
    System ID 3768.0000
    Update date 27 July 2012

| Sat 5 Jan 2019 13:28:16 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Jakebstewart - 5 hours ago  » 
    After contacting Humax support I searched the Web to find there is an upgrade however I need to upgrade my existing data loader to U7.54 for new firmware to be used. Does anyone know if this upgrade is possible with my current configuration, which is
    Software version HPRSFCL 1.00.21©
    Loader version U 7.51
    System ID 3768.0000
    Update date 27 July 2012

What is that upgrade?
    Are you sure it for the FOXSAT-HDR and not the FOXSAT-HD?

By the way U7.54 is available for download from a now non-maintained UK depository of Humax's.
    http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/freesat-hd

The download woukd need to be renamed from from FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade_U7_54.hdf to FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf before you flash your Foxsat-HDR with it.

Be careful that you do not get any HD and HDR versions of either the loader, or the software, confused. An occasional failure of installing the wrong one has been reported despite there being a safeguard in place which should stop that happening!

| Sat 5 Jan 2019 18:53:42 #2 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

BUT. Is it known by users here that loader U7.54 or the 'new firmware' actually addresses the autotune problem that the OP is having with loader U7.51?
    If not, there is no point updating as the problem will remain and is being caused by 'something else'.
    If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. i.e. unless an 'upgrade' addresses the problem that you are having (or is a security upgrade), then don't do it.

The default question by CS (and people who should know better) is "Are you up to date with firm/software?" regardless of whether any such update addresses the actual problem that the user is having or not.

| Sun 6 Jan 2019 11:34:17 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Trev - 9 minutes ago  » 
    The default question by CS (and people who should know better) is "Are you up to date with firm/software?" regardless of whether any such update addresses the actual problem that the user is having or not.

Trev, JakeBSteart has already stated that his FOXSAT-HDR is on 1.00.21.
    Do you know of a later software? I can't find a reference to one and don't recall any being released since FOXSAT-HDR's 1.00.21 was released for the 2012 Olympics.
    Thus my question to JakeBStewart concerning about what is the update that he thinks is more recent, and my warning about not trying to load updates that are not intended for the model.

It would be good if there was a later software that JakeBStewart could point other FOXSAT-HDR owners in its direction, or if, for example, Jake has mistaken the FOXSAT-HD's 1.00.28 for a later FOXSAT-HDR version that Jake doesn't waste time, and risk producing a brick, by trying to load it on to his FOXSAT-HDR.

| Sun 6 Jan 2019 12:16:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jakebstewart

Luke, not sure what the upgrade of 27th July 2012 was or did, but it was the last upgrade that came through the automatic upgrade, ie I was prompted to upgrade. I can confirm I have a FoxSat HDR machine. I have now flashed with another uploader taken from Humax site but unbeknow to be at the time this was another version of the U7.51. The autotuning has now resolved. This leads me to the conclusion that somehow the problem was related to software,either data loader or firmware. My question is now should I upgrade the loader to U7.54 and then proceed to upgrade the firmware?. Just seen post from Trev and fully agree aboout not fixing something that isnt broken but I suspect the autotuning problem will surely return in future. What is th edisadvantage of performing an upgrade woould it be irreversable? So the risjk I would run would be my Foxsat HDR could not be be reset to the U7.51 with the 27th July 2012 version?

| Sun 6 Jan 2019 12:24:55 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jakebstewart

Luke, trev, my post has crossed over the previous posting so sorry for confusion should someone else read this tread. In a nutshell yet my concern is that trying o upgrade my FoxSat HDR with 27th July 2012 update will render the machine useless ie "a brick". As stated the refreshing the U.7.51 loader via the USB has solved the autotuning issue for now

| Sun 6 Jan 2019 12:28:42 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I am not sure why you need to autotune at all.
    All changes to the freesat channels should be updated by the overnight housekeeping provided the unit is in standby at 3:00 GMT.

Loader 7.54 is basically the same as 7.53 the only change being to support a change in the production process.
    I have a vague memory that a previous loader change was to correct a problem with one of the (non default) antenna choices and so would have not been needed by more than 99% users.

| Sun 6 Jan 2019 12:36:23 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jakebstewart

Repassac hi. One day when I switch the unit on it immediatley went into a search for new channels and the screen froze. It then went into a re boot and same again search for new channels start and reboot again! Somehow I was able to get into the set up and tried to autotune but nothing happened. At tha point I had zero channels. I went through all that again but this time used manual set up and found 269 TV and radio channels. This was the point I contact the Humax support. They were now so helpful due to the age of teh unit and suggested it was mechincal ie sat/sat cable etc. I was not convinced of this and searched the net to find this site and support. As it stands now I have reflashed the unit with U7.51 USB stick and th eunit is back in operation and autotunes giving me the ability to use the Guide to select channel. How long this will last ? not sure thats why I have been searching for an upgrade suitable for my unit. It beginning to look like no upgrades are available for the age of unit !!! thats a pity.

| Sun 6 Jan 2019 13:30:20 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

As the unit did not ask for postcode entry it suggests that it lost the channel data. (I presume you are not the running custom firmware extensions which could effect channel settings).

If it reoccurs, I would first try a power recycle leaving 5 mins without power. Next would be a reset to default which will ask for postcode before doing a channel search and prompting a save.

I wish I could remember where the channels are stored (NVRAM or Disk, Reservations are on the latter). If the problem does reoccur and my previous suggestions don't solve anything, it may be worthwhile reformatting the disk as corruption is reported from time to time, especially on the timeslip buffer.

The custom firmware (which just extends the Humax firmware with new facilities) does include a good diskfix utility - you can find it in post 1 of this thread
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-4-part-6.2024876/

| Sun 6 Jan 2019 14:18:35 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jakebstewart

REpassac, apologies should have mentioned first thing I tried was a factory reset. On inputting the postcode nothing happened just went back into a reboot after approx 30 seconds!. If I upgraded the Data Uploader to U7.54 I beleive this would allow me to upgrade firmware, however it seems to be risky as Trev and Luke appear to suggesting that this old model cant accept the a more reent firmware than the one I have with the U.751 build?. I would like to move it forward but as it is working I am inclined now just leave a is and hope I get another 10 years out of the unit!!!

| Sun 6 Jan 2019 15:00:33 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.