My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Upgrading HDD

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

Yea the partitioning and formatting has been done it's just having an issue with creating folder, but i'm sure i read hear that you need to type something before the command to give you admin rights to do it so come back here to re-read the posts and have another go

All1

| Fri 18 Nov 2016 12:16:24 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Alloneword - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Yea the partitioning and formatting has been done it's just having an issue with creating folder, but i'm sure i read hear that you need to type something before the command to give you admin rights to do it so come back here to re-read the posts and have another go
    All1

https://linuxacademy.com/blog/linux/linux-commands-for-beginners-sudo/

| Fri 18 Nov 2016 12:26:54 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

Thanks for the help so far guys i have been able to partition and format to ext3 on all 4 partitions, I was under the impression that i would loose everything I had recorded but having read some threads here am i right in thinking if i plug both my old drive and new drive into a linux machine i could copy the old movies across and is it just the ts files i copy from old drive to the new one?

All1

| Sat 19 Nov 2016 13:30:22 #13 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Copy all of the files on /dev/sdc3 to the new drive.
    The sidecar files are necessary for the Foxsat.

| Sat 19 Nov 2016 13:35:25 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Alloneword - 36 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the help so far guys i have been able to partition and format to ext3 on all 4 partitions, I was under the impression that i would loose everything I had recorded but having read some threads here am i right in thinking if i plug both my old drive and new drive into a linux machine i could copy the old movies across and is it just the ts files i copy from old drive to the new one?
    All1

You can also use the old drive in a sata usb cradle and watch them direct from usb and copy them back if you wish. And you can also use it as a archive device.

eg

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/25-inch-and-35-inch-sata-usb-dock-a83hq?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CjwKEAiAjcDBBRCJxouz9fWHynwSJADaJg9BiQrimD3wauEKCQAZRKGn8Txfj64cntOdStUElFj2CRoCHBDw_wcB

| Sat 19 Nov 2016 14:09:14 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

| Sun 20 Nov 2016 22:24:27 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

Well it looks like i MAY have got there in the end, but i have no idea how if i'm honest if you could take a look at the image and let me know if it looks ok?

I did have one of those Maplin docks hanging around and tried that but it failed for some reason so i took apart and old external USB2 Buffulo case and dropped the pipeline in to that and moved the movies across and after MANY hours it seems to work, as in i can see the old movies and play them, is there a sure fire way to make sure i have done it right apart from using it by taping a few things?

I have to say a huge thanks for sticking with me i must have been a real pain in the backside, so thanks guys.

All1

I see with amount remaining it does not say TB only GB but i presume that is no issue.

| Sun 20 Nov 2016 22:30:47 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Alloneword - 56 minutes ago  » 
    Well it looks like i MAY have got there in the end, but i have no idea how if i'm honest if you could take a look at the image and let me know if it looks ok?

I did have one of those Maplin docks hanging around and tried that but it failed for some reason so i took apart and old external USB2 Buffulo case and dropped the pipeline in to that and moved the movies across and after MANY hours it seems to work, as in i can see the old movies and play them, is there a sure fire way to make sure i have done it right apart from using it by taping a few things?
    I have to say a huge thanks for sticking with me i must have been a real pain in the backside, so thanks guys.
    All1
    I see with amount remaining it does not say TB only GB but i presume that is no issue.

As you say the numbers do not add up but suspect that's down to the lack of support for 2TB drives in the box itself.

Never used anything larger than a 1TB in a Foxsat-HDR, but the remaining recording time looks good. Suggest you record the longest HD programme you can find (shame you missed Children In Need) and look at the amount left.

Also it has been reported that if you record lots of small programmes that the time to display the media list can get very slow.

No pain in the backside, it helps others trying to do similar.

| Sun 20 Nov 2016 23:33:43 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

No problems i can just record a normal HD channel and instead of making it run for an hour i'll just auto the end date, as for little shows it will be for movies 95% of the time so should not have too much to worry about, once again thanks everyone.

All1

| Mon 21 Nov 2016 0:40:09 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.