My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

Upgrading the Storage Drive

(15 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

While browsing in Aldi noticed a 1TB usb3 storage drive reduced by £20.00 to £60.00. Although you could probably make your own a bit cheaper the neat black enclosure looks good by the side of FOX T2. Duly purchased same.

First job was to connect the existing drive to my laptop to look at the file structure. I used LinuxReader to examine the drive.

A very simple single partition structure is revealed. Just two folders and a single file in the root of the drive

Folders .tsr and Video (presumably the .tsr contains the time shift buffer file - mental note to investigate further :-))

Single file epgsavedata.

I copied the contents of the Video folder to a temporary folder on a ntfs drive on my laptop.

Connected the new drive to the FOX T2 and elected to format it (the original FS was FAT32). Big mistake - 5hrs later still indicating writing to drive. Powered everything off and connected the drive to my PC - still a FAT32 FS.

Did what I should have done in the first place, booted up EASUS Partition Manager (the free version) elected to delete the partition and format EXT3 (takes about 10 - 15 minutes to complete).

Connected the now EXT3 usb drive to the FOX-T2 and elected to format. About 5 minutes later format completed and elected to use the drive as the recording device.

At this stage the VIDEO folder does not exist, fixed by making a 1 minute instant recording.

Transfered the drive back to the PC and mounted the drive read/write using EXT2FS and copied the contents of the archived VIDEO folder back to the usb drive VIDEO folder.

Success all my original recordings intact.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating fitting a larger archive drive

| Fri 24 Jun 2011 11:00:38 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Just tried 2 different brand new 1TB HDD and both formatted in next to no time, sorry did not time it exactly, but under 3 minutes for Desktop versions of.

WD Elements
    Seagate GoFlex

Straight out of box, and connected to HD T2.

| Sat 25 Jun 2011 11:22:42 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Could it be related to the fact that the drive is USB3 and in an enclosure. It's not a raw drive.

The original 320GB drive also formatted in a few minutes. That was using a drop in cradle connected by usb.

| Sat 25 Jun 2011 11:27:03 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

These are off the shelf external Desktop HDD's, but are USB2.

| Sat 25 Jun 2011 11:40:05 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The drive comes with a cable that is supposed to be usb2 and usb3 compatible. The plug at the drive end is a type that I have not seen before. It worked fine with the PC, and it was this cable I first used for the original reformat. I finally connected the drive to the FOX T2 using a standard cable (the socket accepts the standard usb plug) after reformatting and there were then no problems. Was it the cable swap or the reformat solved the problem ? Was it the fact that it was a large drive preformatted FAT32. Any ideas what file system the drives you used had or were they not used at all.

| Sat 25 Jun 2011 11:47:13 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Unfortunately I connected straight to the HD T2, but according to the spec sheets both would have been NTFS, and both were recognised as soon as plugged in.

| Sat 25 Jun 2011 12:05:12 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

Anyone tried 2 drives connected via USB hub yet ?

| Sat 25 Jun 2011 14:02:02 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not got a powered hub yet. I will have a dabble with an unpowered one though.

| Sat 25 Jun 2011 14:05:44 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It works at least for two drives.

Second drive appears in media list. Recording takes place on the assigned drive. You can view recorded content from the second drive during recording. Pretty impressive

| Sat 25 Jun 2011 14:20:11 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

That's good to know. How do you assign the drive to record to ? And can you copy from one USB drive to the other ? If so, does SD get decrypted when copied ?

| Sat 25 Jun 2011 19:33:49 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.