My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Uploading programmes via FTP - success

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

I need to do some more playing about with this, but via FTP I downloaded an (unplayable) HD recording from the Aura. I then deleted it from the aura itself so it no longer showed in the list of recordings either on the box from the front end or via FTP from the backend.

I then uploaded the downloaded recording, with no changes made to the file name etc, to the "Uploads" directory on the aura's FTP server.

Post upload it was processed by the box, removed from the "uploads" folder, deposited back into the correct ByChannels, BySeries and ByTime folder and is now back visible from the front end of the Aura.

Whilst this might be absolutely useless for most practical purposes, I was mildy surprised that it worked at all.

I'll try some other recordings, both by spoofing the file name (i.e. putting a recording on there that wasn't originated from the aura) or just as raw files and see what happens.

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 17:18:04 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Of course, what this means in practice is that *if* the box develops a fault and you've got some must watch programmes on there, you can copy locally onto a spare disk and then restore them when a new replacement box arrives. No idea if this works though with non-aura transmissions, so it might not be the route that some are looking for to restore programmes from other devices.

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 17:39:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

larkim - 37 mins ago  » 
    Of course, what this means in practice is that *if* the box develops a fault and you've got some must watch programmes on there, you can copy locally onto a spare disk and then restore them when a new replacement box arrives.

Would this work only with SD recordings because of the box specific encryption on HD channels? Or does that not apply to the Aura.

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 18:18:46 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Possibly, I've obviously only got HD recordings here which are generated on my machine and that worked. I'll track down a short HD recording on my box and upload it somewhere to see if someone else could upload it to their aura perhaps?

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 18:55:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

At worst you could convert from HD using a source Aura and upload to a second in SD. Not yet tried uploading a converted programme yet though so it might not work as converted file have MP4 encoding I think?

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 18:57:35 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Uploading converted files doesn't seem to restore them to the EPG in the same way. Shame, but not unexpected. So I guess it's only the raw .ts files as broadcast that can be restored.

| Thu 4 Feb 2021 15:59:22 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.