My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Use of VPN

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Liege

I have a 1000S and 1100S. The former has no wi-fi option. The latter does. I would like to use the latter in S Africa to watch streamed programmes, but iPlayer etc detect that I am not in the UK and deny access. Is it possible to hack the 1100S to add a VPN option? Alternatively, is it possible to hardwire the box to a laptop that already has a VPN option?

| Mon 19 Aug 2019 13:49:04 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Even with a vpn iplayer will not work. I tried this earlier in crete using my laptop with nordvpn.

Netflix will likely work without a vpn it certainly did in crete.

You can setup a laptop to create a WiFi hotspot which is handy where a hotel WiFi only lets you have one user and requires login via a browser. You can do same with my phone.

https://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Hotspot-in-Windows-10

| Mon 19 Aug 2019 14:11:34 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Liege

Thanks Graham Thompson. Yes, Netflix did work, as you found, but not the catch-up options.

| Mon 19 Aug 2019 14:34:03 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You might try a UK smart DNS service - most offer a free trial (perhaps a day).
    You can persuade both of the mentioned units will offer manual setting if you boot with the DHCO+P server disabled (the DHCP time out takes a while).

| Mon 19 Aug 2019 16:36:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

richtoy

smartdnsproxy is what you need. Signup and set you router to the DNS address they supply and all devices served by that router will work for all UK catchup services. That includes mobile phones too.

| Thu 28 Nov 2019 20:28:37 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

lucyhales

You should try using ExpressVPN. It works well for me. I have tried IPlayer on it as well. If you're confused regarding VPNs, check out this VPN guide.

| Thu 13 Feb 2020 14:56:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

There's lots of evidence from ex-pats in Europe that UK VPN's do work for BBC iPlayer, but only until the BBC hunt the addresses down. An activity that they pursue relentlessly. They then block that address range.

| Fri 14 Feb 2020 11:36:15 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.