My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Using external HDD with Aura

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Halfway

Hi all

Please can someone let me know what capacity HDD the 2TB Aura is able to use. I have used HDDs with Humax models in the past with varying success. I have managed to get a 2TB HDD to work previously. I have ended up bricking a 5TB HDD in the past where the Humax box has formatted the HDD and then had not been able to use it. I wondered at the time if the capacity was too big for the Humax to deal with.

If someone could let me know their experiences that would be great so I can buy the right HDD in the knowledge it will work. I have called Humax and they were no use!

| Mon 20 Nov 2023 16:34:06 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Halfway - 7 hours ago  » 
    Please can someone let me know what capacity HDD the 2TB Aura is able to use.

It is a good question and I don't know the answer. It comes down to will the Aura support a GPT partition style which is usually required for capacities bigger than 2TB. Anybody here used a drive bigger than 2TB with the Aura?

I have used HDDs with Humax models in the past with varying success. I have managed to get a 2TB HDD to work previously. I have ended up bricking a 5TB HDD in the past where the Humax box has formatted the HDD and then had not been able to use it. I wondered at the time if the capacity was too big for the Humax to deal with.

As far as I know earlier Humax recorders (with the exception of the HDR-FOX T2 using custom firmware) will only use MBR partition styles which limits the drive capacity to 2TB.

| Tue 21 Nov 2023 0:17:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Halfway

Thank you so much for your helpful and knowledgeable advice

| Tue 21 Nov 2023 11:26:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

TIM-SUE

I have a seagate barracuda 3TB HDD in my Aura, I installed and formatted it with no problems and have been using it for 3 months now.

| Tue 21 Nov 2023 13:41:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Halfway

TIM-SUE - 7 mins ago  » 
    I have a seagate barracuda 3TB HDD in my Aura, I installed and formatted it with no problems and have been using it for 3 months now.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience that’s really helpful.

| Tue 21 Nov 2023 13:49:24 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

TIM-SUE - 3 hours ago  » 

Are you getting the full 3TB of storage?

| Tue 21 Nov 2023 17:30:09 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

TIM-SUE

YES, IT SEEMS SO.

| Wed 22 Nov 2023 11:32:31 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.